Video card for HP rp5700 PCIe 1x low profile slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I suggest staying away from that PC, unless you want it only for general use - office applications and browsing the internet.

According to the specs you linked:

"The rp5700 supports normal (or non-reversed) layout (Advanced Digital Display 2) adapter cards inserted into the SDVO (Serial Digital Video Output) connector on the system board. This connector has the physical appearance of a PCIe- x16 connector; however, conventional PCIe cards are not supported in this connector."

Thus it will not take any current PCIe video cards. I have no idea what an ADD2 card is. And it looks like it does not even have a standard PCI slot for old video cards - which are about 3 generations back.

Further it only has a 240w power supply - not enough...

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I suggest staying away from that PC, unless you want it only for general use - office applications and browsing the internet.

According to the specs you linked:

"The rp5700 supports normal (or non-reversed) layout (Advanced Digital Display 2) adapter cards inserted into the SDVO (Serial Digital Video Output) connector on the system board. This connector has the physical appearance of a PCIe- x16 connector; however, conventional PCIe cards are not supported in this connector."

Thus it will not take any current PCIe video cards. I have no idea what an ADD2 card is. And it looks like it does not even have a standard PCI slot for old video cards - which are about 3 generations back.

Further it only has a 240w power supply - not enough to support even low end cards, and the CPU could be:

"Intel Core2 Duo Processor E7400 (2.80-GHz, 3-MB L2 cache, 1066-MHz FSB)
Intel Core2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13-GHz, 2-MB L2 cache, 1066-MHz FSB)
Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E2160 (1.80-GHz, 1-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)
Intel Celeron Processor 440 (2-GHz, 512-KB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)"

Looks like this was intended for office use.

Solution

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

I would like to correct you in this... it does support 2x standard size PCI VGA cards. We use them at the office all the time. They are very well built machines, but they are Retail machines, made for business, not games, but they are quite fast and they support DDR2, upgradeable CPUs, and graphics cards (low level obviously). It is an upgradeable machine, but not for games. If you look after the machine it will last for a very long time. It has solic capacitors on the board and the motherboard build quality is at least high. If you want to use it for Internet surfing, very light gaming and/or business software, for $150 it is a good buy.

Hugebee

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Thanks, I'm not looking to but something high end into it. Just better than the Intel GMA 3000. I just looked and there are some pretty good PCI cards available, I hadn't even considered that as an option.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Current low end PCIe video cards are generally better than the older PCI cards. The PCIe cards have more technologically advanced architecture. For a good low end video card see the video card upgrade recommendations at this site:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/nongaming.html

The lowest performance card on the list- theASUS HD 5450 - can be purchased right now for only $20 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121444&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Video%20Cards-_-ASUS-_-14121444&AID=10440897&PID=4234629&SID=VChd5450ASUS

rockyjohn

Distinguished

I know. I already told him that his system had no PCIe x16 slot and no standard PCI slot. But since he responded with a general comment about PCI cards after, I chose to respond to that comment too. to try to be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.