Sign in with
Your question

Toshiba Satellite C850D - 11C cannot install SO after formatting the disc.

Last response: in Motherboards
November 30, 2012 12:28:38 PM

this Laptop was bought by my grand parent recently. He asked me for help cose he couldnt get used to the "damm" Win8. He only uses laptop to play games and a bit of word doc writing.

I did quite a few jobs like this in the past: format the disk a install a SO. No big deal. ! But not this time.
I noticed that the original disc had no backup partition so I created a new partition in order to backup his personal files. I did so. When I restart the win8 an error showed up at boot: "some EFI file was missing or corrupted. I slaved the disc in another PC and was able to copy the personal files thanks to GDB - recover data software. After that I formatted the disc while it was slaved ( guess this was a mistake). The PC I used for formatting was a 32 bit and I suspect this is the reason why I'm not able to install anything on a 64 bit laptop such as this Toshiba. So I put back the formated disc into the Toshiba and started to instal a win7 32 bits. An error shows : " checking media ...[Fail] no bootable device ... restart." something like this. Since I had a USB pen prepared from a previous installation I tried this with no success. The same message. Went to the BIOS and check if USB was active and it was! Then i burned a Win7 64bits from an image I had and this time it looked promising! But the promise was short: it hangs at DISK.SYS or when the windows logo shows up. Made a lot of research and I was told to check the memory (it is a brand new Laptop but I did it...). I prepared MEMTEST from an ISO but the same error popped up:" checking media ...[Fail] no bootable device ...". Tried a Linux SO such as Puppy linux but no mather what DVD or CD prepared for booting the laptop does not boot!! Furthemore I guess I lost warranty with all this.

Anyone has an idea? I would much appreciated
Thank you in advance and pls sorry for my poor english :( 

Amadeu Garcia
amadeumail@gmail.com
December 5, 2012 2:02:25 PM

Guys tks anyway but I managed to solve the issue:
The problem was the Compatibility Mode in the BIOS. This must be activated. I thought that disabling the secure mode for booting was enough but I was wrong. So i fyou have this problem check the BIO's Advance menu.
Now I just have to find out how to remove the password I gave to enter the HDD/SSD. Can see an option to do it. Does it has to do with the password I gave wich is simply the TAB key ?

Can you help ?
Thank you very much
Amadeu
January 23, 2013 8:58:31 PM

amadeu said:
Guys tks anyway but I managed to solve the issue:
The problem was the Compatibility Mode in the BIOS. This must be activated. I thought that disabling the secure mode for booting was enough but I was wrong. So i fyou have this problem check the BIO's Advance menu.
Now I just have to find out how to remove the password I gave to enter the HDD/SSD. Can see an option to do it. Does it has to do with the password I gave wich is simply the TAB key ?

Can you help ?
Thank you very much
Amadeu

good afternoon can you help me out?
i have the same problem but can't find the option to change the compatibility mode :S
please help me
!