Closed Solved

HD 6870 off-center screen and freezes

I am having a recurring issue with my graphics when playing games. When I load a game, within 3-5 minutes the screen goes off center and then the system freezes. I have to unplug the computer and restart completely. I'll go through this 3-5 times and then everything will be fine, I'll have hours of uninterrupted gameplay. Then for no apparent reason, it happens again. I'll go through 3-5 more crashes and reboots and then have several more hours of uninterrupted gameplay. One thing I have noticed is it almost always happens shortly after I tab out of the game to open my browser and google something. But it frequently happens without my doing that, also. Sometimes I may have a few seconds before the freeze and when that happens, I have tried to take a screenshot. But the image the screenshot saves is normal. So I have photo-shopped an image that represents the problem so you can see what I am talking about. Does this sound like a hardware or software issue?

My system :

MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREM 64-BIT
AM3 Phenom II X6 1055T
ASUS M4A89GTD_PRO_USB3
ATI-SAPPHIRE 100314-2SR ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB PCI-Express DDR5
COOLERMASTER RS800-80GAD3-US 800W Silent Pro Gold
CORSAIR CMV4GX3M1A1333C9x2 8GB -2X4GB- DDR3 1333
WD1002FAEX 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 64MB
SUPERTALENT AIN1-BLACK Internal 18-in-one CardReader
SONY AD-7260S-0B Internal SATA DVD+/-RW BLACK 24X DVD Burner
COOLERMASTER HAF 922M

10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 6870 center screen freezes
  1. Driver issue is what I'm thinking. Uninstall all traces of GPU and reinstall latest drivers.

Don't forget to restart after uninstall and after reinstall.
  2. I think that fixed it. I have been playing for three hours now and tabbed out several times and so far no issues. I'll give it another few hours to be sure before I close this case. If that was really it I feel stupid. This has been going for 4 months. Probably the very first driver install was corrupt. Then I just kept installing new drivers on top of that initial corrupt install.
  3. Nope. It did it again. What would be the next step in troubleshooting this?
  4. Best answer
    Do you have onboard graphics?

If you do, take out your GPU and put onboard under load.
    See if it does the same.
  5. Sapphire is saying they are willing to RMA the card. They must have seen something like this before. When I pull the card to send it back, I'll do that and see if it is still happening.
  6. Nice, lucky... Sapphire is awesome...
  7. Pulled card, ran benchmarks no issues. Must have been the card. Been playing WOW on low settings with the onboard graphics on the mobo, no problems.
  8. Best answer selected by froghog1971.
  9. Nice...
  10. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Games Graphics