noobe1981

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Ok I've looked through the charts. Didn't really find much in the way of what I'm wondering about. amd x2 6000+ costs around 100. E8400 *which shows it actually clocked just a little lower* costs around 180 *tiger direct prices i do plan to use newegg, but i like their site better for looking around*.. Is intel really that much better then amd. I've never had any problems with amd or intel for that matter so I'm not really biased against either. I couldn't find any charts with amd x2 *granted I did only scimm* but they showed the x3 and x4's...

Please just don't say "like omgz amd sucks blah blah blah". I've had good exp. with amd, so I don't hate them. On that note I havn't had any problems with intel either as I havn't had much exp. with them.

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
What are you trying to accomplish? Upgrade or new system??

I am looking at this AMD AM2+ mobo:
Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H AMD790GX ATX AM2+ Sideport DDR3 2PCI-E SATA2 RAID Sound GLAN HDMI Motherboard

It will use any Athlon dually, any Phenom 3x or 4x cpu. I could start with a cheap 2x, then if needed goto 4x when software requires it. Many feature for vidcard future upgrades; and the best onboard vid to start. Supports HiDef, HTPC, 8channel sound, BluRay, etc etc. - do your own research re specs.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2887

I do not like spintel - and upgrade to quad will mean all new mobo etc. The real cost of spintel is often hidden. It is not easy to figure this out with either. But this is the result of all my research - you're welcome. Good luck.