Closed

Where has the unlocked core gone?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 12:19:24 PM

Hello friends,
Since I built my rig last summer, I am being continuously plagued by the following thought-

My Athlon II X3 440 of C3 revision and Deneb chip was unlocked by Asus M4A78LT-M and showed "4 cores are unlocked". The new name was 'Phenom II X4 B40'. However, after entering OS (Win7, XP, Ubuntu, Puppy linux) only 3 cores are shown with L3 cache. I thought it was a faulty statement by the motherboard that 4 cores are there. But some points caught my attention-
i) After unlocking, The CnQ (power management) doesn't work. Nor do the CPU fan and HDD access light go off after soft shut down. In fact the CPU overheats after shutdown to cause a plastic burning smell (if Vcore is not undervolted and left to auto) that I experienced in a fiasco during my first overclock session.
ii) All these problems disappear if I manually disable the 4th core from BIOS after unlocking; as if to announce that it was the 4th core that was physically there to cause those problems.
iii) Recently I got some interesting screenshots from PCwizard which I am sharing with you-

Can anyone tell me what actually the status of the 4th core is? Is it physically disconnected in the die? Or am I able to somehow revive it?

More about : unlocked core

a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 12:51:18 PM

Hi :) 

Why do you think AMD sold it as an X3 and NOT an X4 ?

Thats the answer to your question...

All the best Brett :) 
Score

Best solution

January 29, 2012 1:46:49 PM

looks like your core was disabled by AMD because it was bad, not because they needed more x3's to meet demand.
If you wore lucky after unlock you would see 4 separate working cores, and if even more lucky they all be stable and not crush every 5 minutes
Related resources
a c 154 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 11:33:24 PM

You have a three core processor that was made that way for a reason. There was a defect in the fourth core and it was disabled. When you buy a processor with deactivated cores there is no guarantee you'll be able to unlock those cores. That's your problem the fourth core is not stable and it will not run so you have to set it back to three cores and that's what you're stuck with.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2012 5:28:57 AM

Best answer selected by dmmbbs.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2012 11:26:44 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!