Sign in with
Your question

[mobo] First time builder mobo powering question

Last response: in Motherboards
November 30, 2012 2:28:05 PM

Hi Tom's Hardware, long time lurker, finally found something that wasn't already answered (I think).

OK so I have an ASROCK Extreme4 z77 mobo. First one arrived DOA. RMA'd it, second one just arrived.

I am a bit confused on how to turn the mobo and the system on.

When my first one didn't work, I brought it to geeksquad and they confirmed that my PSU was working properly.

OK. So even though this is my first build I am pretty 100% sure that I am connecting the PSU and the 24 pin power connector properly.

I just have 2 or 3 questions:

1. Can installing the cases front panel power switch connector backwards cause it to (1) not work (2) ruin the mobo?

(According to this random website I found

- "As it turns out, only the LED's are a problem if their cables are connected the wrong way around. The LED's are diodes, so they have polarity. If you have an LED cable on the right pins, but the wrong way around, then the LED won't light up. It won't hurt anything, though. For the LED to work, line up the black wire on the cable connector with the motherboard header pin identified as ground (GND, or pull-down). Two of the cables are for LED's, the POWER LED cable and the HDD LED cable.

The other three cables, POWER SW, SPEAKER and RESET SW, can be connected either way. The motherboard manual may still identify one of the motherboard header pins for the connector as ground, but it will still work whether or not it is the black, ground wire that is connected to it. I have verified this for myself. The power switch, reset switch, and speaker all worked with their corresponding cables connected either way. And I also verified that the LEDs do not work when their cables are connected the wrong way around. So for the RESET SW cable in particular, which has one black wire and one white wire, it doesn't really matter which one is ground. It has no polarity so it doesn't matter which way it is connected."
http://www.mysuperpc.com/build_your_own_computer/pc_con...

--- Is this source right?)

3. Can I just hook up the PSU to the mobo and then use the ASROCCK Extreme4's manual power switch button to turn the mobo/system on?

Sorta like this one:

Thanks Tom's hardware
- Saganfan :hello: 
November 30, 2012 2:40:18 PM

The source is right; all those connectors do is send a signal to the motherboard when you push the switch.

If you connect the power switch header "backwards" it won't cause any issues, it just won't receive the signal.

And you should be able to boot the motherboard using the power button on the board itself, so long as it's connected to the PSU properly (and the PSU is active).

If the mobo is in the PC tower, check to see if you secured it too tightly.
One time I had the mobo screws in a little tight and the board wouldn't boot, but as soon as I loosened them up it was good to go.
m
l
November 30, 2012 7:28:01 PM

aramisathei said:
The source is right; all those connectors do is send a signal to the motherboard when you push the switch.

If you connect the power switch header "backwards" it won't cause any issues, it just won't receive the signal.

And you should be able to boot the motherboard using the power button on the board itself, so long as it's connected to the PSU properly (and the PSU is active).

If the mobo is in the PC tower, check to see if you secured it too tightly.
One time I had the mobo screws in a little tight and the board wouldn't boot, but as soon as I loosened them up it was good to go.

Thanks I appreciate the advise and answers.
m
l
!