System contemplating building

Hello, I am looking at building a PC with the following components:

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990fx board
CPU - Phenom XII 965 Black
Ram - 8 Gig
Video - Radeon 6870
HD - 60 Gig Sata III SSD
PS - 750 W

What kind of game performance am I gonna get with this? Is the graphical/performance going to be that much different with an intel i5-2500K system. Also keep in mind that later on I plan on upgrading the video to a Radeon 6990 or better and probably a better AMD CPU (if they get better)
11 answers Last reply
More about system contemplating building
  1. Also keep in mind that my graphical comparison will be my PS3 so I would this system deliver better then the PS3
  2. No, there is not going to be that much difference because your gpu is what matters here, since you have no bottleneck. Mine is very close to yours and I can tell you I have no issues running just about everything at max with a large rez monitor.

    The comparison between console and pc is laughable, side by side you'd be blown away by what you are missing in a console.
  3. cool thanx for the input
  4. Here are the benchmarks I am getting (See the Specs on my signature)

    Average FRAPS @ 1680 x 1050 (Very High Settings), AMD Catalyst Version 11.8

    Batman Arkham Asylum: 58 fps
    NFS Hot Pursuit: 56 fps
    HAWX 2: 59 fps
    Empire Total War: 55 fps
    COD Black Ops (Multi-player): 57 fps

    Star Craft II Wings of Liberty:
    33 fps* Ultra Settings
    44fps* High Settings
    82fps* Medium Settings

    Intel core I-5 and I-7 will give you better frame rates however you got to question if the price increase is worth it.
  5. Quote:
    Intel core I-5 and I-7 will give you better frame rates however you got to question if the price increase is worth it.


    how much more though....plus would I get better frame rates if I just get a better video card. So basically If I was rocking the system that I propose and had two 6990's in SLI would that make up for the fact that I don't have an i5 or i7
  6. Per the link below:

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20

    In Far Cry 2 using a Nvidia GeForce GTX 280 an AMD Phenom II X4 970 gets 52.8 Frames Per Second Clocked at 3.5 GHZ while the Core i5 2500K gets 78.9 Frames Per Second clocked at 3.3 GHz. (a 26.1 Frame Per Second Increase) How much money would you have to spend on a video card to compensate for 26.1 FPS? In this particular benchmark a Sandy Bridge 2500 makes a strong case for itself.

    The benchmarks will very greatly based upon the application however the Core i-5 and i-7s can really be a difference maker in some situations.
  7. but thats pairing of nvidia and amd. I heard to get the best performance you need to pair amd with amd/ati graphics card or is that untrue
  8. rwayne said:
    Here are the benchmarks I am getting (See the Specs on my signature)

    Average FRAPS @ 1680 x 1050 (Very High Settings), AMD Catalyst Version 11.8

    Batman Arkham Asylum: 58 fps
    NFS Hot Pursuit: 56 fps
    HAWX 2: 59 fps
    Empire Total War: 55 fps
    COD Black Ops (Multi-player): 57 fps

    Star Craft II Wings of Liberty:
    33 fps* Ultra Settings
    44fps* High Settings
    82fps* Medium Settings

    Intel core I-5 and I-7 will give you better frame rates however you got to question if the price increase is worth it.


    my build is close to your but i went the route of the i5 2500k i see a frame rate of 60+ in starcraft 2 with a 6870 but when i checked it was giving me 96fps but it could be that i wasn't running everything at max but i would have to recheck and this was with fraps but i'd have to recheck if i'm actually running the game in 1080p.
  9. I ran a very similar system to yours but with a 6850 earlier in the year, gaming performance and graphics in comparison to the PS3 were hands down given to the PC.

    That build will more than suffice for any gaming you have in mind, although you won't be setting every game out there to maximum details.
  10. demonsoldier said:
    my build is close to your but i went the route of the i5 2500k i see a frame rate of 60+ in starcraft 2 with a 6870 but when i checked it was giving me 96fps but it could be that i wasn't running everything at max but i would have to recheck and this was with fraps but i'd have to recheck if i'm actually running the game in 1080p.


    Yeah, the Core I-5 is a difference maker.
  11. Ok so I have decided on the following build (as my budget has gotten much bigger now).

    Core i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz
    Asus P8P67-PRO P67 sk1155 DDR3-1600 ATX Mobo
    2 x Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX HyperX DDR3
    Corsair 120GB SSD Sata3 w/Bracket (For OS and small progs)
    WD WD5000AAKX 500GB 16mb 7K Sata6G (For large progs and Games)

    I have a 1.5 WD Ears Green drive for files (movies, music etc..). Plus I will plan at some point to upgrade the Video Card and Power supply (currently a 550 W and a NVidia GT 220)

    What I want to know is how reliable is the rig that I plan to build using the components that I have selected or are there better ones (My main concern is making sure the SSD is reliable, ive heard some horror stories regarding some SSD's)
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems