400-500$ 3D Modeling and Gaming PC

Hey guys, I just wanted a PC that could do some Maya 2012, or Zbrush, and some gaming, like Skyrim or Minecraft on moderate-high settings if possible.

Approximate Purchase Date: Around Christmas

Budget Range: 400-500 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Modeling, Programming, Surfing the internet

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Monitor, DVD Drive, Mouse

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Maybe (If even possible :kaola: )

SLI or Crossfire: No

Additional Comments: None, only thing I want is a fast clean solid computer.
13 answers Last reply
More about modeling gaming
  1. I think this would be perfectly possible if you have an old HDD you can use, if not I don't know if it will, HDD's are expensive atm D:
  2. with Hard drive prices climbing through the roof (Prices have doubled this month), I think you'll be hard pressed to get one that does 3D modelling at your price.

a 500 GB drive that was $40 on Oct 1st is $90 now.
  3. Does the price doubling apply to SSD's too?
  4. Wildcat313 said:
    Does the price doubling apply to SSD's too?

No
  5. I have a HDD I can use
  6. ScrewySqrl said:
    with Hard drive prices climbing through the roof (Prices have doubled this month), I think you'll be hard pressed to get one that does 3D modelling at your price.

a 500 GB drive that was $40 on Oct 1st is $90 now.

Where I am from a 500GB Seagate Barracuda which was £28-30 is now £100-120. a 3TB Hitachi drive is £600 where I work haha, it was like £100.
  7. I didnt think so but just was making sure, didnt start researching computer components again until a couple weeks ago.

Back on topic: Correct me if wrong... but I think being able to play Skyrim on high settings will be tough with a $400-$500- build. Maybe if you push it up to $700
  8. Meh. I think I can do 700.
  9. tbass1997 said:
    I have a HDD I can use

Good, I just added this up on Newegg:

Intel i5-2400
    8GB Corsair XMS3
    ASRock H61M/U3S3
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB
    Antec 100
    Corsair CX-500
    DVD Burner

Actually comes closer to $600 but I don't know where I would try to save money there to be honest, depends which is more important out of gaming and work.

If gaming is more important:

Change to i3-2100 and 1 x 4GB RAM

If work is more important:

Change to Corsair CX-430 and HD 6770 1GB

Maybe get a slightly cheaper case or motherboard too, reusing an old DVD burner would help as well.
  10. Ah, just noticed you can bump up the budget a bit and you have a DVD burner already. I'd run that original build I said but with a HD 6870 and no DVD Burner. Comes just under $600 on Newegg before rebates ($40)
  11. Sweet, Is i5 good? Im not a AMD Fanboy, but I have never owned an intel :P
  12. yes
    the i5-2400 is an excelent chip
  13. Yeah that i5 will beat any AMD chip in games, only thing is you can't overclock.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems