  • Customization
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 6, 2004 4:28:33 AM

How do I get rid of quick launch and search assistant so
that they will not load when my computer starts up?

More about : quick launch search assistant

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 8:06:05 AM

Jay wrote:
> How do I get rid of quick launch and search assistant so
> that they will not load when my computer starts up?

The search assistant is a parasite.

Download the following free versions of these spyware cleaners.
Run these cleaners and make sure that their reference files are up to date.

Ad-Aware
www.lavasoftusa.com

SpyBot S&D
http://www.safer-networking.org/

If the problem is not resolved, perform the following:

Go to Start/Run and type the following command.

Regsvr32 /u C:\Windows\System32\omniband.dll

(including the spaces)

Open Windows Explorer and rename the following file:

C:\Windows\System32\omniband.dll
to omniband.bak

Reboot the system.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org
August 6, 2004 11:15:32 AM

I had the same problem on my computer running XP HOME and
performed the two posted fixes in this thread. The quick
launch area next to my start button is now perfect and
retains the order that I set the items to after a
restart. My only grip is that the language bar
continually loads even after I un-select it and reboot.
Otherwise, the search toolbar is gone now and my taskbar
is almost to 100% now. Gosh I hate that damn spyware,
I'm almost done repairing my computer now except for my
taskbar. -Thanks in advance.
August 6, 2004 9:17:49 PM

As Ronnie said. Additionally, if the Quick Launch settings are not retained on next boot, try this:

1. Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

2. Backup the selected branch by exporting it to a REG file

3. In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe approriately, if Windows is installed in a different drive.

4. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

"Jay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01c801c47b86$faef08e0$7d02280a@phx.gbl...
How do I get rid of quick launch and search assistant so
that they will not load when my computer starts up?
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 7:24:53 PM

Andrew wrote:
> [...]

To disable the Language Bar, open Control Panel/Regional and
Language/Languages Tab. Click the Details button and then select the
Advanced Tab. Select the "Turn off advanced text services" option.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org