Sign in with
Your question

Opinions on this upgrade path?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2011 11:10:29 PM

Hey guys,

Recently I have been thinking a lot about the upgrade path I am to go with for my PC, it's going to look like more of an overhaul than an upgrade but I plan to do it over 6 months or so. I just wanted some opinions on it to see where I could improve it.

What I want is something that will max games easily at 1080P (Single monitor, possibly 120Hz) while being as quiet as physically possible. No budget as such but I can't go crazy or I'll be saving up forever.

Current system is:

i5-760
ASRock P55 Deluxe
8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Palit GTX 460 1GB
2 x Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Fractal Design Define R3
XFX Pro 750W
Noctua NH-D14

This system is OK in games but is quite noisy mainly due to that PSU but partly the GPU too. My current plan is to upgrade these things in this order:

- Seasonic X-560 PSU

This is fanless at low loads which is the main reason for this but the efficiency and rock solid stablity/peace of mind is a nice bonus. Thinking this first because it should make the system a lot quieter.

- Intel 510 Series 120GB, Intel 510 Series 160GB or Crucial M4 128GB

I am leaning toward the first one because 120GB should be enough space and that SSD is awesome, it has some nice features by the sounds of it. Also it is very fast and the most reliable around with a 5 year warranty to back that up. May end up with the Crucial because it's cheaper though.

- 3 x Noctua NF-S12B ULN 5db fans

This is literally the quietest fan I can find and it still has fairly respectable airflow, it's just very expensive :p . I will put one of these on the CPU cooler (instead of the stock fans) and have a bottom intake and rear exhaust. I have a similar setup (with noisier fans) at the moment and it cools a cheap Palit card fine so a beefy ASUS one should hopefully be OK.

- AMD 7000 Series equivalent of HD 6970 (HD 7970?)

I am looking for the most powerful single card I can find to help with noise. If possible I will go with the 3 slot ASUS one because the huge heatsink means I can turn my fans right down, I might even modify the BIOS to set lower minimum fan speeds if I have the balls. The reason I chose AMD was because they usually have better power efficiency but if the GTX 680/670 is better per watt I might go for that. I also hear that some GPU's let you go down to 20% fan speed anyway, anyone know anything about this?

- Ivy Bridge i5-2500k equivalent with ASRock Z68 Extreme3 or similar

The next logical step for PCI 3.0, USB 3.0 and what is bound to be an awesome processor.

Thanks for reading the super long post :) 

Opinions/Suggestions?

More about : opinions upgrade path

October 28, 2011 11:39:49 PM

Well, there are no 7000 series GPU's out now, and in 6 months I highly doubt there will be a 7970, that's quite a ways away, also, powerful cards create a lot of noise, especially the 6990. I'd go with two Gtx 570's in SLI if I were you. Other than that, looks good.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2011 1:55:46 PM

I wasn't talking about a dual chip card, that would be super noisy. I just meant the next generation version of the HD 6970/GTX 570/580. I think so long as i get one with a good heatsink like the massive ASUS one it should at least be quiet at idle. I'm not too bothered if it gets noisier in games, that is to be expected.
!