How strong PSU do I need for my system

Status
Not open for further replies.

omil

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hello,

I'm upgrading my pc (or, more accurately, replacing almost everything except things like hdd, dvd drive, case etc.) and I was hoping for some general idea about what PSU to pick.

System will end up looking something like this:

HD 6770 1GB DDR5 128bit
AMD Phenom II x4 960t 3GHz
MSI 870-C45
4GB DDR3
300GB hdd (4 years old now but I don't feel like I need a bigger one)
1 DVD/RW drive

Final configuration may still be subject to small change but this is pretty much the price range I'm aiming for.

I don't necessarily ask for a specific PSU since I might not be able to buy it in my local shops, but some general idea of how strong it needs to be would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Solution
At a minimum you should have a power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and it should have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

omil

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Is that 450w as in advertised on the case, or something like calculated 12V power? I only read a few threads about PSUs and I'm not all that savvy.

Anyway, my PC already has a 450w PSU so that looks like it's enough? And thanks for the quick reply.

A quality 400W+ psu with 1x PCI-E will run your specs.
Ideally it would be a wise investment to buy a 500-600W with 2 x PCI-E 6 pins if you ever decide to change your gpu.
Don't buy junk!
Antec,Corsair,XFX,OZC,and Seasonic offer reliable units.

At a minimum you should have a power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and it should have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.