New Graphics card / PSU Question (PSU details included)

GSB1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hi all,

I see you get a fair few of these questions, but I still haven't found my answers without posting. I hope someone can humour me and help me out.

I have a Dell Vostro 430 PC. It has an i7 860 2.8GHz CPU and I have 4GB RAM running W7 Pro 64bit. It suits my needs well for the most part, but it has niggled me from new that the Nvidia GeForce 310 grahpics card is the weak link in the spec. I only rank 5 for Windows Aero and 5.9 for Gaming in Windows.

I would like to upgrade the graphics card to achieve better Windows Aero perfromance, better performance viewing and editing HD video and if that means I can once a year play a PC game at a decent rate then so be it, but my aim is not really to play the latest games at full res/detail. The aim is to take a a good few steps up from the GeForce 310 I have and balance my spec out. At the moment if I use Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 (64 bit edition) to edit HD video, from time to time Windows freaks out and turns Windows aero off. A card that has ample performance to manage Windows Aero and HD video editing at the same time is what I want, so that is my minimum requirement.

I have my PSU details here:

6098779943_be590d54cb_b.jpg

My question is two part:

Part One

Please recommend me a new graphics card, the best performing that is compatible with my PC and safe to use with my existing PSU. Will a card safe to use with my PSU be many step up from the GeForce 310? Likewise would the card achieve my minimum req. of ample performance to manage Windows Aero and HD video editing at the same time without fail?

Part Two

If I must change my PSU to be able to run a card that is a worthwhile upgrade from the GeForce 310, what do I need to look for in a PSU and can someone recommend a make/model? I do not want the PC to be any louder than it is (it is quiet currently).

TIA

Graham

You will have to chance the PSU in order to get a better GPU, 350W isn't enough. GPU ; 460, 560Ti, 6870, 6950. ( Sapphire, MSI, EVGA, ASUS, XFX )Psu ; at least 500W or more, with a single stable 12V rail at least 40 A, ( when you ever wanne sli you'll need 750W.)(Antec, Corsair )
It will be louder though, high end stuff is always louder than low end.

Robjordy quite nailed it, not much to add except i would not recomend you to get a factory overclocked version of the 560Ti, i had one for some time and had to manually increase voltage to make it stable (gigabyte ultra durable version).

True, i have a gigabyte 560ti soc and had that problem until i downloaded the latest drivers from the official Gigabyte site, now it's doing fine. ( don't have to manually increase voltage, it's higher ( 1.15V ) than with the old drivers or drivers from nvidea site.)

GSB1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

I am a bit disappointed though, as at the time I bought the Dell (it was a popular buy on Hot UK Deals) people were saying they had installed HD 5770 OK on the stock supply.

In fact I would have just followed that lead if I could find one (preferably a Sapphire Vapor-X). It's only because I couldn't source a Sapphire 5770 that I started to look at other options and figured I should take compatibility advice.

I have an unused 6 pin power supply for the card and a spare SATA power lead. I run a second HDD but nothing else unusual.

Any other opinions? Do you think I could get away with a GTS450 or a HD 5670? Would these be a worthwhile step up from the 310?

Would I be better going for a card rated for a 400W PSU (the HD 5670) or a card that needs a 400W PSU and a 6 pin power lead (the GTS450)?

For those that still think I must not install a card rated for more power than the PSU, do you think the GT440 would be a worthwhile step up from the GeForce 310?

Thanks all.

It really depends on how you wanne play your games. If you are used to play at medium settings and are fine with that go for the cheaper option. But when you really want to have the "WOW" effect, you just can't cheap out.
Before i had the pc i have now ( i7, 560 TI ), i have played for a long time on a P3 with a 16 mb GPU ( started in the middle ages with the commodore 64 ), after that on a expensive, butt still not that great laptop ( GPU wise not great ) and the difference between those is so big ; with my new pc i have really a lot of moments that i forget to play the game but just are looking at how fantastic the pictures are. Details, color, eye candy like metal shine on cannons, explosions, fire, puffs of smoke coming out of guns and all that stuff is so much better with high end than low or middle end. Before this pc i never really had that so important "WOW" factor, games were nice and exiting but never had a orgasm ( can i say that here ? ), now my pants are wet almost all the time. :lol:
Please do yourself this favor, maybe sell some blood or a liver and go for the high end stuff.

Without changing your PSU you could get a Radeon 5670. The card itself uses about 62W max, and usually less during regular gaming. You could spend a little more and get a 5770 which is better for gaming, but for your needs I don't think you will benefit much.

GSB1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Gaming really is not priority, or even a requirement at all. In hindsight I shouldn't have mentioned games. The aim is a high performing card that will not flinch for Windows Aero and HD video playback and editing.

So does the HD 5670 fit that bill?

Sorry, my bad. That's what happens when you game too much, you think everybody is a gaming fool. :whistle:

Yes a 5670 should fit the bill. While it's true that Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 might show some benefit from a faster GPU like a 5770, it wouldn't be much and the 5670 should be a rather big step up already on the gpgpu front there.

GSB1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

That's the conformation I was looking for, thank you. The Radeon HD 5670 will be OK with the PSU and is a worthwhile step up from the GeForce 310, just what I needed to know.

GSB1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
My next pending question is if I can likely get away with the 5670 on my PSU, can you say the same for the 6670? Is the 6670 more power hungry?

GSB1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Having had a search this is the best comparison I could find:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_6670/20.html

This suggests the newer generation 6670 is more power efficient. Have I interpretted correctly?

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Entirely. My friend has a 300w delta psu in his HP and wanted a slight upgrade for dragon age origins 2. Gave him a choice between a 6670 and a 5670 and he took the 6670. No problems, doesn't even need a PCI-E conenctor so it is under 75ws (6670s run around 60w's i think)

GSB1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks all. I have just placed an order for a Sapphire Ultimate HD 6670 1GB GDDR5.

I'll post back with how I get on.

GSB1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks again for your help. The Sapphire Ultimate HD 6670 is installed and so far spot on.

My Windows Experience Index scores have gone from Grahics (aero) 5 and Gaming Graphics 5.9 to 7.1 for both (without any overclocking).

In reality it doesn't make much odds to my video editing with PowerDirector (mainly wants a poweful CPU and lots of RAM) but I am happier with the more able graphics card regardless. At least if I do need GPu acceleration I have a card worth trying with.

A few pics:

6109596109_fa82d5f899_b.jpg

6110143926_a8cdd82942_b.jpg

GSB1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Yes, you have to enable, but the effects are not as you would imagine. Happy with the card anway, the old one was out of balance with the rest of the PC spec.

jackspar

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

Just wondered how your Ultimate Sapphire has been working with your Vostro 430's (300w power supply.) Have you had any problems at all?

I'm also looking to add Sapphire's Ultimate 6670 on my Dell 560 (also 300w power supply: apparently use 203w per the powerup calculator)

One big difference though is that I run two monitors out of the built-in G45/G33 Intel graphics on the motherboard which I hope to move over the the 6670 and wondered if that might be too much (and what would happen)?

Would really welcome all of your thoughts.

JR