400W psu problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Hello.. I am currently using a Cooler Master 400W PSU.. Here is my rig..

Core i5 2400 3.1Ghz
Asus P8H61-MLX mobo
GTX 550 ti
4GB Kingston DDR3 x 2
1 Hard Disk
1 DVD Writer
120mm Cooler Master LED fans x2
120mm Cooler Master regular fan x 1
( NO pci cards, Not overclocked )

My rig is currently running fine without any problem..

I have two questions

1. Is my psu sufficient to add one more 120mm LED fan and one SSD?
2. If it is not can i at least add one 120mm LED fan?

I used extreme power supply calculator and it says

Minimum PSU wattage - 277W
Recommended PSU wattage - 327W ( With out fan and SSD i am going to buy )

Minimum PSU wattage - 283W
Recommended PSU wattage - 333W ( With fan and SSD )

Solution
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

What is the model of your Cooler Master 400W power supply?

Elite Power RS-400-PSAR-J3/-PSAP-J3, combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps.
Extreme Power Plus RS-400-PCAR-A3/-PCAP-A3, combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps.
Real Power Pro...

larkspur

Distinguished
Both SSD and LED fan? I am going to buy a fan on tomorrow and SSD in next week.. So isn't there anything to worry about?

No, nothing to worry about. An SSD and an LED fan are minimal additional power. If your system is stable now, it should still be stable after adding those.

But you are approaching the limit on that PSU - if you put anything further in, I would upgrade your PSU to something bigger and a better brand-name.

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

What is the model of your Cooler Master 400W power supply?

Elite Power RS-400-PSAR-J3/-PSAP-J3, combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps.
Extreme Power Plus RS-400-PCAR-A3/-PCAP-A3, combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps.
Real Power Pro RS-400-ASAA-D3, combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 25 Amps.
GX Series RS-400-ACAA-D3, combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps.

The Elite Power and Extreme Power Plus series are Cooler Master's low end junk and don't even meet NVIDIA's minimum specified power supply requirements to power a system with a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti. The biggest problem is actually the very high electrical noise and ripple on the output rails that will rapidly degrade the electrolytic capacitors on your motherboard and graphics card's power circuits.

Solution

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

I think it is Elite or Extreme one.. I bought PSU included cooler master casing.. I bought another fan today and system is stable.. Will there be any future problems? Should i upgrade my PSU?

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

I am from Sri Lanka.. I bought my PC just two Weeks ago.. So i can't just throw away two weeks old PSU unless it is absolutely necessary.. If I should buy a new psu i can afford like 8000 Sri Lankan Rupees ( =70US Dollars ).. My Current System is stable and i wont do any upgrade ( except a ssd ) for at least 1 year.. What should i do? Should i really need to upgrade my PSU now? ( No newegg :( )

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

That means it could damage my components?

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

As ko888 said it *can* damage the capacitors on your card. It can depend a lot on the specific unit you have, and what its power output is. In general the low end Cooler Masters are not good.

That's not what I said.

I said it will degrade the electrolytic capacitors because that is what high ripple on the DC output rails do. It may take a few months before you start to notice the side effects but it will happen.

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
I have decided to buy a new PSU..

1. http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/gaming-series-power-supply-units/gs600w.html

2. http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=294&area=usa

3. Antec 450W PSU which i don't know the exact model

These three are affordable.. Corsair one cost more but it is in stock.. Silverstone one is out of stock and it will be restocked after two weeks but it is 13US Dollars cheaper than Corsair one.. I don't like to wait 2 weeks until silverstone arrive as you mentioned my current psu will damage the components.. Also I don't want to buy a cheaper psu and face the same problem again..

1. Should i wait two more weeks and buy the silverstone psu? ( because 600W is more than enough i want and why should i spend 13US Dollars more )

2. Is 450W enough for me? Antec is a good brand?

The Cooler Master Elite 335 (RC-335) accepts standard ATX PS/2 form factor power supplies.

The Corsair Gaming Series GS600 (CMPSU-600G) is a standard ATX PS/2 form factor power supply so it will have no problem fitting into that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.