Sign in with
Your question

Surround sound output

Last response: in Components
January 29, 2012 4:03:33 PM

When playing DVD's in my Computer's DVD player, should I be able to get surround sound?

I plan to connect the MoBo's HDMI to an AVReceiver for sound only, and display the movie on the Monitor through the GPU.

My system:
LG GH24 internal DVD R/RW
Mobo Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3, with Realtek ALC892
Core i7 2700K (has iGPU HD3000)
NVidia GTX9800+, drives a LG Flatron W3000H display
Windows 7 64bit
AVReceiver with 7.1 surround sound speakers

Thanks!

More about : surround sound output

January 29, 2012 7:06:00 PM

Yep, although you need to make sure the audio data is passed to the receiver. Most people use a s/pdif. What sort of connection are you using?
January 29, 2012 10:37:31 PM

MagicPants:
Quote:
What sort of connection are you using?

I'm planning to use the HDMI port of a new MoBo to feed sound to the AVReceiver.

On my current MoBo, I do use the SPDIF to feed sound to teh Receiver, but that only palys stereo, not surround. Is there a way I can send surround through SPDIF?

Thanks!
Related resources
January 30, 2012 3:24:41 AM

Quote:
On my current MoBo, I do use the SPDIF to feed sound to teh Receiver, but that only palys stereo, not surround. Is there a way I can send surround through SPDIF?

ONLY if the signal is already encoded as Dolby/DTS OR if you have a soundcard that can do realtime conversion of uncompressed 5.1 to either format. Since most movies have one of a Dolby/DTS track, you should be able to get 5.1 via SPDIF, providing you set your media player of choice to send the compressed signal out, rather then decoding it.
January 30, 2012 1:29:12 PM

gamerk316
- Does the vlc media player support sending the Dolby/DTS-compressed sound via SPDIF?
- What about games? I do not see an option to send Dolby or DTS-compressed in Skyrim, for example. Any way I can get surround sound in games through SPDIF?

Thanks!
January 30, 2012 2:23:37 PM

Quote:
- Does the vlc media player support sending the Dolby/DTS-compressed sound via SPDIF?

I'd be shocked if it didn't.

Quote:
- What about games? I do not see an option to send Dolby or DTS-compressed in Skyrim, for example. Any way I can get surround sound in games through SPDIF?

PC games almost never have a Dolby/DTS track [Bioshock is the ONLY one I know of that does]; they use uncompressed PCM almost exclusivly. As a result, unless you have a soundcard with a realtime encoder to encode 5.1 PCM to either Dolby or DTS formats, you are limited to just 2.0 using SPDIF.
January 30, 2012 5:26:57 PM

Both creative labs X-fi titanium series, and Asus Xonars support 5.1 encoding. With Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect.

The creative labs cards have optical and coax output, while I believe xonars only support coax.
January 30, 2012 5:47:34 PM

^^ ASUS cards ship with a Coax to Optical converter. They focused more on the Home Theatre crowd, where equipment with Coax is still more common then optical. The exact encoding capabilities vary a bit by card [the DS is DTS only, the DX is Dolby only, etc]
January 30, 2012 8:09:44 PM

Thanks for the info! I always wondered about that.

gamerk316 said:
^^ ASUS cards ship with a Coax to Optical converter. They focused more on the Home Theatre crowd, where equipment with Coax is still more common then optical. The exact encoding capabilities vary a bit by card [the DS is DTS only, the DX is Dolby only, etc]

January 30, 2012 10:44:53 PM

^^ Remember, you have 20+ years of receivers that used Coax instead of optical. As ASUS tends to lean toward the HT crowed, they use coax by default. Not a big deal either way though. Only complaint is the converter feels (ok, IS) a 10 cent peice of plastic.
January 30, 2012 10:51:13 PM

Just curious, but how exactly do they convert from an electrical signal to an optical one with a little piece of plastic?

gamerk316 said:
^^ Remember, you have 20+ years of receivers that used Coax instead of optical. As ASUS tends to lean toward the HT crowed, they use coax by default. Not a big deal either way though. Only complaint is the converter feels (ok, IS) a 10 cent peice of plastic.

!