Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Surround sound output

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
January 29, 2012 4:03:33 PM

When playing DVD's in my Computer's DVD player, should I be able to get surround sound?

I plan to connect the MoBo's HDMI to an AVReceiver for sound only, and display the movie on the Monitor through the GPU.

My system:
LG GH24 internal DVD R/RW
Mobo Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3, with Realtek ALC892
Core i7 2700K (has iGPU HD3000)
NVidia GTX9800+, drives a LG Flatron W3000H display
Windows 7 64bit
AVReceiver with 7.1 surround sound speakers

Thanks!

More about : surround sound output

January 29, 2012 7:06:00 PM

Yep, although you need to make sure the audio data is passed to the receiver. Most people use a s/pdif. What sort of connection are you using?
m
0
l
January 29, 2012 10:37:31 PM

MagicPants:
Quote:
What sort of connection are you using?


I'm planning to use the HDMI port of a new MoBo to feed sound to the AVReceiver.

On my current MoBo, I do use the SPDIF to feed sound to teh Receiver, but that only palys stereo, not surround. Is there a way I can send surround through SPDIF?

Thanks!
m
0
l
Related resources
January 30, 2012 3:24:41 AM

Quote:
On my current MoBo, I do use the SPDIF to feed sound to teh Receiver, but that only palys stereo, not surround. Is there a way I can send surround through SPDIF?


ONLY if the signal is already encoded as Dolby/DTS OR if you have a soundcard that can do realtime conversion of uncompressed 5.1 to either format. Since most movies have one of a Dolby/DTS track, you should be able to get 5.1 via SPDIF, providing you set your media player of choice to send the compressed signal out, rather then decoding it.
m
0
l
January 30, 2012 1:29:12 PM

gamerk316
- Does the vlc media player support sending the Dolby/DTS-compressed sound via SPDIF?
- What about games? I do not see an option to send Dolby or DTS-compressed in Skyrim, for example. Any way I can get surround sound in games through SPDIF?


Thanks!
m
0
l
January 30, 2012 2:23:37 PM

Quote:
- Does the vlc media player support sending the Dolby/DTS-compressed sound via SPDIF?


I'd be shocked if it didn't.

Quote:
- What about games? I do not see an option to send Dolby or DTS-compressed in Skyrim, for example. Any way I can get surround sound in games through SPDIF?


PC games almost never have a Dolby/DTS track [Bioshock is the ONLY one I know of that does]; they use uncompressed PCM almost exclusivly. As a result, unless you have a soundcard with a realtime encoder to encode 5.1 PCM to either Dolby or DTS formats, you are limited to just 2.0 using SPDIF.
m
0
l
January 30, 2012 5:26:57 PM

Both creative labs X-fi titanium series, and Asus Xonars support 5.1 encoding. With Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect.

The creative labs cards have optical and coax output, while I believe xonars only support coax.
m
0
l
January 30, 2012 5:47:34 PM

^^ ASUS cards ship with a Coax to Optical converter. They focused more on the Home Theatre crowd, where equipment with Coax is still more common then optical. The exact encoding capabilities vary a bit by card [the DS is DTS only, the DX is Dolby only, etc]
m
0
l
January 30, 2012 8:09:44 PM

Thanks for the info! I always wondered about that.

gamerk316 said:
^^ ASUS cards ship with a Coax to Optical converter. They focused more on the Home Theatre crowd, where equipment with Coax is still more common then optical. The exact encoding capabilities vary a bit by card [the DS is DTS only, the DX is Dolby only, etc]

m
0
l
January 30, 2012 10:44:53 PM

^^ Remember, you have 20+ years of receivers that used Coax instead of optical. As ASUS tends to lean toward the HT crowed, they use coax by default. Not a big deal either way though. Only complaint is the converter feels (ok, IS) a 10 cent peice of plastic.
m
0
l
January 30, 2012 10:51:13 PM

Just curious, but how exactly do they convert from an electrical signal to an optical one with a little piece of plastic?

gamerk316 said:
^^ Remember, you have 20+ years of receivers that used Coax instead of optical. As ASUS tends to lean toward the HT crowed, they use coax by default. Not a big deal either way though. Only complaint is the converter feels (ok, IS) a 10 cent peice of plastic.

m
0
l
!