Sign in with
Your question

[Build Help] FIRST gaming/video editing PC

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2011 12:47:32 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: not too sure, sometime within the next month.

Budget Range: would like to keep it at $1.3k

System Usage from Most to Least Important: video editing/gaming.

Country of Origin: USA

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2blS
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2blS/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.44 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($156.14 @ NCIX US)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Amazon)

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint M7E 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.00 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card ( $289.99 @Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case ( $89.99 @Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($142.99 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: LG GH22NS70 OEM DVD/CD Writer ($20.00 @Newegg)

Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($129.99 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($48.95 @ Amazon)

Mouse: Logitech V450 Nano Wireless Laser Mouse ($24.10 @ Amazon)

Total: $ 1,204ish
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-11-04 15:52 EDT-0400)

Overclocking: Yes (once i learn how)

crossfire: maybe later

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

I was going to save up for a $2k+ iMac before I realized how much money you can save building a PC. Im a complete noob at this so feel free to criticize, but I would like a powerful video editing/max graphics gaming machine. I'd use adobe premiere, and after effects, and play games like BF3 and Skyrim on the highest settings, maybe even try and overclock cpu.
Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.
(also keyboard/mouse recommendations would be appreciated!)
October 29, 2011 4:40:42 AM

Heres just a few things i would recommend from a glance. The 16GB of RAM is total overkill. just save yourself 50 bucks and get 8GB. Its more then youll need for a long time. I recommend this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

your video is the same that i have and i love it. But the thing is expecting to run BF3 on ultra settings with it is a little optimistic. I can run it at about 35-50 fps in isngle player which is good. but multiplayer (although its still pretty good) can have some frame rate issues. But really even ultra high end cards are having difficulties with that game so i wouldnt worry. It should run skyrim great.(just remembered that you can unlock the 6950 and make it a 6970. havent done it yet but im sure that would run BF3 better)

your psu is the correct wattage but id recommend a more reliable brand such as corsair. if your willing to spend a little extra this is a great fully modular psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would look into more reliable motherboards aswell. look into brands such as asus, asrock, gigabyte, and msi. This is my motherboard and it works great http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
its also the brand new model and supports pci 3.0 which isnt relevant yet but means that its somewhat future proof.

The hyper 212 evo is very good. its cooling my i7 2600k wonderfully.

Thats all i can think of for now but i would check out some different harddrives too since theres some 1TBs out there for around the same price as the one you picked. also maybe you'd want to invest in an SSD for windows startup? All up to you and your wallet though.
October 29, 2011 5:08:06 AM

+1 for above suggestions.
Related resources
October 29, 2011 5:27:41 AM

Daioh said:
Heres just a few things i would recommend from a glance. The 16GB of RAM is total overkill. just save yourself 50 bucks and get 8GB. Its more then youll need for a long time. I recommend this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for the feedback, the only thing im not sure about it decreasing the ram, this is the second time I've been told to do so, but I thought the extra boost would come in handy when editing HD video.

October 29, 2011 5:36:23 AM

Also is the P67 Extreme4 Gen3 any good? I hear mixed things about it.
October 29, 2011 6:07:17 AM

Video editing is all about throughput from the HDD/Ram to the CPU, while video gaming is all about throughput from the RAM to the GPU.
What you describe is a good game machine, but if you are video editing then you want RAID and you want as much RAM and HDD space as you can afford. 500GB will be fine for 2-3 projects, but if editing is something you intend to do on a regular basis you will want 2+TB.
Also, 16GB of ram is way overkill for gaming, but perfectly appropriate for video editing any sort of HD content.
October 29, 2011 6:12:36 AM

Oh! also for video editing it depends on the software suite you are using. You can get some huge performance gains using the Mercury Playback engine in Adobe Premere, but it requires a high end nVidia card to work properly (top 2 tier cards of the last few generations are supported), AMD is not supported. Check what editors use for builds for their software of choice, it makes a difference.
October 29, 2011 6:44:19 AM

you're gonna have to have alot of stuff going on for you to utilize over 8gb of RAM but it definitely wont hurt anything so if you're willing to spend the extra $50 i say go for it.(Keep in mind that i don't know much about video editing so you may very well be within reason to need that much RAM.)

The difference between the P67 Extreme4 Gen3 and the motherboard i suggested are these three things

The z68 has
1.integrated graphics (wont matter for you but its there, also the built in graphics impressed me but this really doesnt mean anything when using a different video card)
2. SSD caching (dont know much about this except that its supposed to help you access files quicker from your harddrive)
3.Use of Quicksync for video transcoding (This seems relevant to you. You may want to look into this more.)

the z68 also has some other little things such as bluetooth (which may or may not be important to you)

Theres some connectors that differ but overall they're the same in that retrospect.
October 29, 2011 3:25:41 PM

CaedenV said:
Video editing is all about throughput from the HDD/Ram to the CPU, while video gaming is all about throughput from the RAM to the GPU.
What you describe is a good game machine, but if you are video editing then you want RAID and you want as much RAM and HDD space as you can afford. 500GB will be fine for 2-3 projects, but if editing is something you intend to do on a regular basis you will want 2+TB.
Also, 16GB of ram is way overkill for gaming, but perfectly appropriate for video editing any sort of HD content.

Thanks for the advice, the hdd i have now is basically a placeholder until newegg gets a new stock of the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (if they ever do). I'd love to have multiple hdds, and benefit from RAID, but I don't think its in my budget right now. Video editing is more of a hobby than anything, maybe I'd make 1-2 videos a week, and some motion graphics here and there.

Also when would be a good time to buy all this? I'd like to have it by the end of November, but i can wait if necessary.

October 29, 2011 8:43:13 PM

Depends on where you buy it from. If its from newegg then shipping usually only takes 3 business days. I ordered my entire rig off of there and it all came at once on the third day so that was nice. The thing is I wouldn't wait too long because once late November early December hits thats when all the holiday buyers start ordering and everything goes out of stock. There may be some deals and what not but they go fast so if that's what you're planning on id have a cart ready to go and check back on it everyday.
October 30, 2011 7:45:24 PM

Ill try to order them as soon as i can once i get everything straightened out, although I've heard its best to buy HDDs now, and not to wait.
October 31, 2011 1:05:36 PM

thanks, switched out motherboard, I really want to get the i7 2600k, does anyone know if there's a sale or something on it anytime? Also any other suggestions?
October 31, 2011 2:28:09 PM

considering you a complete noob (you wanted to buy a mac for god's sake!), it would do you well to read guides a few times over and watch plenty of videos on the subject matter. there are so many mistakes one can make in assembling a PC...it helps to be careful
October 31, 2011 9:01:18 PM

feartrich said:
considering you a complete noob (you wanted to buy a mac for god's sake!), it would do you well to read guides a few times over and watch plenty of videos on the subject matter. there are so many mistakes one can make in assembling a PC...it helps to be careful

Believe me i am, messing up something is my biggest fear atm...

everyone says its relatively easy though not really sure what to think.
November 1, 2011 2:49:36 AM

g77r7 said:
Believe me i am, messing up something is my biggest fear atm...

everyone says its relatively easy though not really sure what to think.

I wouldn't let that stop you. As long as you follow the motherboard manual you'll be fine. Also looking up youtube videos definitely helps. Gotta remember that this stuff is more durable then you think. (except for hard drives, be super careful with hard drives.) Another thing is that these new sandy bridge processors require you to push the latch down with quite a bit of force to lock it in (The processor itself falls right into place but the latch is another story.) Just thought id tell you because this terrified me when i installed mine (thought i was crushing it) and then i looked up videos with people having the same problem. Its completely normal.
November 4, 2011 4:15:17 AM

bump
!