Pungent burning smell coming from computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slickrick214

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have an HP Elite computer with a Phenom II 1045T processor. When I turned it on the other day I heard a popping noise and i got a pungent burning smell. Now the computer won't turn on or do anything. I'm afraid I might have fried the CPU. Do you think I fried the CPU or do you think it is something else?

Solution
My guess is it's the PSU. Pre-built computers companies tend to cheap out on the PSU more than anything else. But before we do anything else the first thing to do is unplug everything. You don't want to get electrocuted or start a fire if something is burning. Next take a look at the motherboard. Look for any burn marks or bulging capacitors. If all that looks ok I would replace the PSU with a known working one and see what happens. Like I said I really think it's the PSU not the motherboard.
My guess is it's the PSU. Pre-built computers companies tend to cheap out on the PSU more than anything else. But before we do anything else the first thing to do is unplug everything. You don't want to get electrocuted or start a fire if something is burning. Next take a look at the motherboard. Look for any burn marks or bulging capacitors. If all that looks ok I would replace the PSU with a known working one and see what happens. Like I said I really think it's the PSU not the motherboard.

Solution

Slickrick214

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Ok so I went out to Staples and bought a cheap 40 dollar Antec PSU just to test and everything is working fine so Iguess it definitly was the PSU. Who makes the best/ most reliable power supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.