AMD vs Intel - Which to choose?

NDT RSA

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hello, for office use, no gaming, many apps, many docs, 4x IP cams, accounting app, Outlook, Remote Administrator Win 7 Pro 64. Which CPU is best for this config?

I would say any of the I core processors depending on your budget. The I 3 is only a dual core but has hyper threading and will really be more than enough for an ofiice computer. If you want to spend more and get a quad core the either the I5 2500 or I7 2600. Also make sure you pair it with a Z68 board in case you decide to upgrade to Ivy Bridges in the future.

tiang

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
It sounds that AMD quardcores series best for your money, AMD Phenom II with decent motherboard (embeded IGP) is much better than the graphic provided by i3 processors. Physical extra 2 cores from AMD will help you more in your multi-threaded program.

No really. First of all he's using this computer for office work not watching movies or playing high-end video games. Because of that graphics really don't matter in this case and the Intel 2000 or 3000 IGP would be more than enough for what he wants to do with the computer. Secondly more cores don't mean jack in computers. It's all about the architecture. The I3 even with only two cores will be faster then most of the Phenom II quad core processors. Plus even though it's only two cores it has hyper threading again making it faster then most quad core Phenom II's.

To NDT I still say get the I3 or any of the I core processors.

Either will do. For the tasks listed, A cheap cpu will do very well. I do not recommend the i3 as hyperthreading is useless and you might as well buy an AMD quad core for the same price but other than that its all intel. Hyperthreading does pretty much nothing in everyday computing thus does not justify buying the i3 over a celeron. A quad core will be a lot more effective in multithreaded applications compared to hyperthreading so might as well get those.

I don't recommend spending more than $200 on a cpu and a cheap celeron will do but more cores does give better multitasking. I'd say spend your money on a cheap AMD quad core phenom II or the i5 2400. Going lower would mean a celeron or a athlon II x4.

If you want the top of the line then you will be looking at the i7 2600 or the FX8150, both of which aren't very good choices unless you do a lot of video encoding or rendering since they don't offer any improvement in everyday use for the money they cost.

xaira

Distinguished
got to agree with tang here, for multitasking in a office environment, nothing touches an amd quad, especially fot the price, an x4 620 would fit perfectly into that situation, or maybe a fusion tripple core

theDanijel

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I would sugest an AMD A6 quad core APU and pair it with at least 4 GB of memory.
Just one question about the IP cams you mentioned. Will they be used to stream to or from this pc?

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
You don't need much you should get a athlon ii x4 or a phenom ii x4 you can find both for about $100 (some phenom ii's cost more) i heard the phenom ii x4 can be unlocked to a phenom ii x6

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

"Old school gamer with 31 years gaming experience." You have got to be kidding me... is this some sort of resume? lmao, I guess since I have 40, that must make me a real pro.

Now onto the real story...

As you can tell, you're gonna hear back and forth which you should use.... AMD is better, no Intel is better. Well this benchmark says this and this benchmark says that (which benchmarks are to be taken with a grain of salt and I wont get into that)

The real issue is what you're comfortable in spending. Both processors can do the jobs. Period, end of discussion.

Currently Intel processors are more "greener" than AMD per say depending on the choice you go... the AMD A series compete well in the "green" department with some running in at 65 watts.

Both companies have their fair share of strengths and weaknesses.

If you're a rebel who likes to stick it to the man... go AMD, the smaller guy... lol or if youre someone who likes brag with ego... go intel.

I have all three major players in my office and home... Mac OS boxes, AMD servers and Intel Boxes. Each does their job effectively.

My suggestion would be to not base your opinion just from one forum. Look over other forums as well. I would also say talk with people who use the same apps you do and see what they have to say, that would be your best option.