Sign in with
Your question

AMD vs Intel - Which to choose?

Last response: in CPUs
January 29, 2012 6:08:52 PM

Hello, for office use, no gaming, many apps, many docs, 4x IP cams, accounting app, Outlook, Remote Administrator Win 7 Pro 64. Which CPU is best for this config?

More about : amd intel choose

a c 146 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 6:23:23 PM

NDT RSA said:
Hello, for office use, no gaming, many apps, many docs, 4x IP cams, accounting app, Outlook, Remote Administrator Win 7 Pro 64. Which CPU is best for this config?

I would say any of the I core processors depending on your budget. The I 3 is only a dual core but has hyper threading and will really be more than enough for an ofiice computer. If you want to spend more and get a quad core the either the I5 2500 or I7 2600. Also make sure you pair it with a Z68 board in case you decide to upgrade to Ivy Bridges in the future.
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 6:26:30 PM

i5 2300
Related resources
January 29, 2012 6:28:58 PM

It sounds that AMD quardcores series best for your money, AMD Phenom II with decent motherboard (embeded IGP) is much better than the graphic provided by i3 processors. Physical extra 2 cores from AMD will help you more in your multi-threaded program.
a c 146 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 6:38:10 PM

No really. First of all he's using this computer for office work not watching movies or playing high-end video games. Because of that graphics really don't matter in this case and the Intel 2000 or 3000 IGP would be more than enough for what he wants to do with the computer. Secondly more cores don't mean jack in computers. It's all about the architecture. The I3 even with only two cores will be faster then most of the Phenom II quad core processors. Plus even though it's only two cores it has hyper threading again making it faster then most quad core Phenom II's.

To NDT I still say get the I3 or any of the I core processors.
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 6:47:27 PM

Either will do. For the tasks listed, A cheap cpu will do very well. I do not recommend the i3 as hyperthreading is useless and you might as well buy an AMD quad core for the same price but other than that its all intel. Hyperthreading does pretty much nothing in everyday computing thus does not justify buying the i3 over a celeron. A quad core will be a lot more effective in multithreaded applications compared to hyperthreading so might as well get those.

I don't recommend spending more than $200 on a cpu and a cheap celeron will do but more cores does give better multitasking. I'd say spend your money on a cheap AMD quad core phenom II or the i5 2400. Going lower would mean a celeron or a athlon II x4.

If you want the top of the line then you will be looking at the i7 2600 or the FX8150, both of which aren't very good choices unless you do a lot of video encoding or rendering since they don't offer any improvement in everyday use for the money they cost.
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 6:47:54 PM

got to agree with tang here, for multitasking in a office environment, nothing touches an amd quad, especially fot the price, an x4 620 would fit perfectly into that situation, or maybe a fusion tripple core
January 29, 2012 7:08:09 PM

I would sugest an AMD A6 quad core APU and pair it with at least 4 GB of memory.
Just one question about the IP cams you mentioned. Will they be used to stream to or from this pc?
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 7:15:26 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • NDT RSA
    a c 141 à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 7:17:10 PM

I was going to ask a simular question. Are these IP cams sending streams or you you receiving these streams and at what resolution?

Whats your budget?
    a b à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 7:43:00 PM

You don't need much you should get a athlon ii x4 or a phenom ii x4 you can find both for about $100 (some phenom ii's cost more) i heard the phenom ii x4 can be unlocked to a phenom ii x6
    a c 112 à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 8:05:10 PM

poste deleted because i didnt do my usual checks and was totaly wrong on all counts... sorry guys :( 
    a b à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 8:18:09 PM

the 960t has a good chance to unlock. People say its around 90% chance of getting a working 6 core.
    a c 185 à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 8:18:35 PM

i3-2100, uses less power and has much better upgrade room.
    a b à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 8:25:29 PM

I doubt people need to upgrade on desktop and office computing. Also the i3 has nothing to offer more than the celeron, you might as well buy a celeron or get a quad core.
    a b à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 8:29:16 PM

i3-2100
    Will drive your APPs superb, and as a bonus have a very nice low power consumption
    a c 141 à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 9:23:12 PM

yeah.. unless he's trying to encode and stream 4 1080i streams in realtime...
    we really need to know what they're doing there. He did say IP cam and not webcam.
    a b à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 9:25:51 PM

Where does he say encoding????

i3 is the way to go for a business machine.
    a b à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 9:27:28 PM

not sure why people pushes the i3. The celeron is quite a bit cheaper and offers the same performance because of how useless hyperthreading is.
    a b à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 9:33:50 PM

esrever said:
    not sure why people pushes the i3. The celeron is quite a bit cheaper and offers the same performance because of how useless hyperthreading is.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
    a b à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 9:49:45 PM

What does first gen i7 have to do with second gen i3? Not to mention that the majority of the losses are for games.
    January 29, 2012 9:57:36 PM

HEXiT said:
    well you heard wrong... the 960t was never publicly released...
    the 960t was a turban core that was supposed to be a x4 but because it could be unlocked reliably amd deemed it was a threat to the already available hexa core cpus. they only done this because the 960t had a more than 50% chance of unlocking.

"Old school gamer with 31 years gaming experience." You have got to be kidding me... is this some sort of resume? lmao, I guess since I have 40, that must make me a real pro.

Now onto the real story...

As you can tell, you're gonna hear back and forth which you should use.... AMD is better, no Intel is better. Well this benchmark says this and this benchmark says that (which benchmarks are to be taken with a grain of salt and I wont get into that)

The real issue is what you're comfortable in spending. Both processors can do the jobs. Period, end of discussion.

Currently Intel processors are more "greener" than AMD per say depending on the choice you go... the AMD A series compete well in the "green" department with some running in at 65 watts.

Both companies have their fair share of strengths and weaknesses.

If you're a rebel who likes to stick it to the man... go AMD, the smaller guy... lol or if youre someone who likes brag with ego... go intel.

I have all three major players in my office and home... Mac OS boxes, AMD servers and Intel Boxes. Each does their job effectively.

My suggestion would be to not base your opinion just from one forum. Look over other forums as well. I would also say talk with people who use the same apps you do and see what they have to say, that would be your best option.
    January 29, 2012 10:00:38 PM

oh I forgot to add my suggestion... use a typewritter, it will last longer and its greener than anything. ;p
    a b à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 10:11:06 PM

BadTrip said:
    What does first gen i7 have to do with second gen i3? Not to mention that the majority of the losses are for games.

not talking about loses. The gains are worthless in general computing and in the areas where hyper threading shows improvements, you'd be better off getting a true quad core. And thats just to show you how useless hyperthreading is and a marketing scam. The celerons will be just as good as the i3 since hyperthreading offers insignificant improvements.
    a c 185 à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 11:02:15 PM

esrever said:
    not talking about loses. The gains are worthless in general computing and in the areas where hyper threading shows improvements, you'd be better off getting a true quad core. And thats just to show you how useless hyperthreading is and a marketing scam. The celerons will be just as good as the i3 since hyperthreading offers insignificant improvements.

Hyperthreading is nice for rendering in programs that can actually take advantage of them.
    a b à CPUs
    January 29, 2012 11:08:10 PM

yes but real cores are better for those and even athlon x4s ussually beat the i3 at those.
    a b à CPUs
    January 30, 2012 1:17:08 AM

Four "full" cores will always beat HT enabled dual cores, always.

HT is just virtualization of the processor register stack, it gives the host OS a second processing target to assign instructions to. No magic secret sauce involved.

For your tasks I'd recommend a cheap Phenom II x4 or low end i5. Due to your particular workload I'd stay the heck away from an i3, Celeron or APU, they will all give you issues with your video streams.

Beyond that your biggest investment should be your data retention / backup system. I'm assuming this is for a revenue generating project / business.
    a c 112 à CPUs
    January 30, 2012 5:46:33 AM

biscuitasylum said:
    "Old school gamer with 31 years gaming experience." You have got to be kidding me... is this some sort of resume? lmao, I guess since I have 40, that must make me a real pro.

whhoooaaa hold yer donkey i made a mistake and have corrected it... no need to get personal or il have no option but to go digging for your mistakes and point them out....

i didnt bother rechecking a link http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-960T-Ca... and made a mistake. we all do it now and again... but some of use know when to hold our hands up and admit it...

January 30, 2012 5:54:51 AM

HEXiT said:
    whhoooaaa hold yer donkey i made a mistake and have corrected it... no need to get personal or il have no option but to go digging for your mistakes and point them out....

i didnt bother rechecking a link http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-960T-Ca... and made a mistake. we all do it now and again... but some of use know when to hold our hands up and admit it...

lol no no no, i think youve taken it wrong... i wasnt pointing out your mistake... i was being sarcastic in regards to your 31 years gaming experience... youre the same age as I am... and to be quite honest... you would have closer to 39 years because you have to count the games we played as babies. lol

:pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
    a b à CPUs
    January 30, 2012 6:22:41 AM

AMD Liano for office is the best solution IMO. The A6 3600 Quad with the radeon IGP is the cheapest solution @ 65W TDP and DX 11 support. Other things that slow down an office PC is the HDD. Try to sick a 64 GB SSD with a 2 TB storage for the IP cameras. The SSD will make your programs load much faster and 2TB will do you enaugh for 30 days of recordings.
    a b à CPUs
    January 30, 2012 6:30:06 AM

PS.
    Try to do 2 x 1 TB as storage, 1 TB for the cameras and 1 TB for others. The one HHD that is the storage of the cameras should be from the "enterprise" series. Considering that this PC is going to be 24/7 on i suggest a good PSu and a case with air filters, also take in consideration a UPS aswell
    !