System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming,movies, music

Parts Not Required: mouse,keyboard,monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg,Amazon

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: N/A

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

Additional Comments:First time builder need advice/suggestions on anything i should change and compatability. Also with black friday coming up not sure if I should wait and see if there's any deals then.

Here's a link to my build

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

More about : 1800 2000 gaming

Best solution

a c 271 4 Gaming
October 29, 2011 3:40:16 AM

Wow, Pretty excellent choices for the most part - there's a couple of nit picks:

- The SSD you've chosen is SATA-II, for a Z68 build you're better off getting a SATA-III drive like the Kingston Hyper X series or the Crucial M4, that will make for faster load times. It'll run a couple bucks more but it's worth it in the long run, and much easier to setup at that.

- Don't buy Asus DVD burners - they're very cheaply made and very poor quality, I had one nearly explode on me. Go with Lite-On, Sony, Plextor, anything else.

- Get low-profile RAM - it's much less of a hassle to deal with than the gigantic heat sinks that Corsair includes. They make the same RAM in a much lower profile verison - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

- For this build you definitely want an aftermarket cooler - Cooler Master's Hyper 212 is an excellent, low cost choice. If you really wanted to go all out you could go with the Noctua D14, but if you're a beginner I'd stay away from liquid cooling and closed block loops for now.

- The Corsair Obsidian series are great cases but they're huge and kind of overkill, especially if you're a first time builder. If you want to stick with the same brand, their Corsair Carbide series is very solid, very big and roomy, well constructed, and so on - has most of the same features and is $100 cheaper, invest the money in getting a better cooler and video card.

- And finally you don't really need Windows 7 Pro unless you're going to be running a lot of older x86 programs, or running more than 16GB RAM - you're better off getting 7 Home Premium - it's all you really need, it's all I ever use.
a b 4 Gaming
October 29, 2011 4:07:21 AM

I agree with the SSD option mentioned by g-unit , I notice that the total on the build is $1600 and your budgetr is $1800 to $2000 so it would seem to be some room for adding better components. what do you think about going with a GTX 570.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The SSD could be a little bigger , 80gb might seem big but it does fill up fast

These are just two sugestions and would add about $280 to the total. If there is no rush then you could wait for Black Friday and see if you can get some good savings.

m
l
Related resources
a c 271 4 Gaming
October 29, 2011 5:09:10 AM

inzone said:
I agree with the SSD option mentioned by g-unit , I notice that the total on the build is $1600 and your budgetr is $1800 to $2000 so it would seem to be some room for adding better components. what do you think about going with a GTX 570.

The SSD could be a little bigger , 80gb might seem big but it does fill up fast

These are just two sugestions and would add about $280 to the total. If there is no rush then you could wait for Black Friday and see if you can get some good savings.

Yes, 80GB will run out pretty quickly, especially with the size of today's games. I have a 64GB Crucial and with all the business apps on it I run I have 5GB left, I kind of regret not getting a 128GB.

Although if you wait for Black Friday, one thing I've learned over the past few years is that they almost NEVER discount the high-end hardware, it's always stuff that they're eager to get rid of, bottom of the barrel stuff, and close-outs and that sort of thing.
m
l
October 29, 2011 6:25:01 AM

I think first of all you should consider changing your monitor
spending $1800-2000 for gaming rig on 1280x1024 resolution is not that worth
m
l
October 29, 2011 6:25:34 AM

For a lot of money you are ditching it in fancy components while missing out on performance.
To begin with the Motherboard. It is new with baby skin. Also it costs a lil much. Same things on the AsRock extreme 4 gen3, in fact asrock offers a couple more usb3 for your front panel.
Your GFX, it is ok (Perhaps you can up it a little bit).
I don't see your aftermarket cooler. If you are not going to OC your system you'd better get the i5 2400.
If you are going to OC your system get an aftermarket cooler. Installing one now saves you the trouble of having to take everything out again just to install the cooler at the back of your motherboard.
The 2giga hdd is an overkill. Get something less from any of the WD Caviar Black/Seagate Barracuda 7200.12/Samsung F3. This will free up some money for an ssd. Crucial m4 128gb namely.
200$ computer case... mmm. What you will lack in computer power you will gain in style and bragging. I would go for something else. Unless you are hell bent on watercooling (which apparently you are not)... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... rawr.
Your ram is high profile. Bad for aftermarket cooler. Again decide on weather you want or not to OC your system. If do get low profile memory. If not, you can stick with this one (looks pretty... for whatever that might count)
Your PSU, fantastic choice for decent OC of your system, or double card without OC. No OC? Drop to 650watt.
m
l
October 30, 2011 4:09:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Here's what I changed so far.

-Switched to Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

-Switched to Lite-On iHAS424-98

-Switched to CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B

-Added COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1

-Switched to EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-TR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

-Switched to Windows Home Premium

-I considered the 500R but decided on the 650D because it has more front port usb and its easier to clean the front filter. I was able to get the 650D for $150 so think Ill stick with that.

-Now for the motherboard the ASRock Extreme 4 is $10 less than the one i chose and i believe it has 2 less usb ports. Plus from what i read Asus is usually the higher quality brand. As for the hard drive I have a lot of audiobooks,podcast and music so I need a lot of space.

All these changes add up to $1875 with taxes. Overall I think I'm happy with this configuration. I dont really know anything about overclocking or water cooling but will eventually do it once I do more research.

m
l
October 30, 2011 5:38:55 AM

Cooler Master Hyper 212? Come on. Corsair A70 or if you enjoy more silent coolers and want to spend the money Xigmatek Aegir.
I insist on the AsRock, what it gives is more than enough for what you want. It is Gen3.
I still find the case to be a huge funneling of money that could be spent somewhere else, but hey, it is your money.
m
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
October 30, 2011 5:47:20 PM

Drekz said:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Here's what I changed so far.

-Switched to Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

-Switched to Lite-On iHAS424-98

-Switched to CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B

-Added COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1

-Switched to EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-TR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

-Switched to Windows Home Premium

-I considered the 500R but decided on the 650D because it has more front port usb and its easier to clean the front filter. I was able to get the 650D for $150 so think Ill stick with that.

-Now for the motherboard the ASRock Extreme 4 is $10 less than the one i chose and i believe it has 2 less usb ports. Plus from what i read Asus is usually the higher quality brand. As for the hard drive I have a lot of audiobooks,podcast and music so I need a lot of space.

All these changes add up to $1875 with taxes. Overall I think I'm happy with this configuration. I dont really know anything about overclocking or water cooling but will eventually do it once I do more research.

Yes - much much better choices.
m
l
September 16, 2012 5:35:04 AM

Best answer selected by Drekz.
m
l
!