XFX 6950 fan at full speed all the time

raydroid

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hello,

I recently built a new computer and the fan for the graphics card is always at full speed, right from boot, and never slows down even when it gets into windows. Is it a faulty video card?

Here are the specs of my build:

Asus P8Z68-V PRO
Intel I52500K
8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Corsair AX750 PSU
XFX Radeon HD 6950 800MHZ 2GB 5.0GHZ

Thanks!

try removing and reseating the card
some cards take a good push to sit in the slot
I have cards work but do weird things when they were not fully seated

also once in Windows
go to Catalyst Control Panel
and go to performance
and from there you can control the fan speed
see what it is set at and try lowering if need be

tu3185

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
hey i have the same issue but catalyst control panel is not installed and didnt come with my card i have a Diamond 6950 2GB version should i try reseating the card?

mubin

Distinguished
@ raydroid, How do you check that fan speed is full from boot? Dose catalyst control panel show 100% fan speed? If yes then reseat and also check temperature. If temp is high enough then the fan should run at 100%.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Does it do this as soon as you power on the computer before windows loads? If the answer is yes then the card has detected insufficient pci-e power. If you do not plug in the required pci-e power cables, the fan will spin at max speed as soon as the computer is turned on. Do you have the 8 pin + 6 pin power connectors connected to the card? If it is ok during post but then spins at max speed when windows loads then it is a problem with CCC or you have a faulty card.

First remove and reseat the card and do the same for both PCI-E power leads.
Check that you have the card drivers correctly installed, in fact it's usually best to go online and use the latest software anyway, most cards come with driver discs that can be several months behind the times.
For drivers either visit the Diamond site or point your browser towards the AMD support site, either way do a full download, CCC and drivers. There is NO need to uninstall the existing software, you'll be fine just installing 'over the top'.
PS, you do have the drivers installed, do n't you? :)