Sign in with
Your question

Monitor turns off, computer is still on when playing 3D games. Help!

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2011 6:57:14 AM

For the past week, my computer has been either rebooting or the monitor turns off and my computer is on. I'm confused on what could be the problem. I have ran GPU, PSU, RAM, and CPU tests, all passed. Also reinstalled the operating system(Windows 7 64-bit Pro), and still happens. My temperatures seem to be fine.. They're at 50-60 when gaming, and 30-40 when internet browsing, etc. Oh, also when I play on high settings it runs for about 5 minutes then turns off. When on low, it goes on for an hour and then turns off. Please help!

Computer "main" specs:
Intel i7 950 3.06 GHZ
SLi GTX460(Could it be because SLi mode is enabled?)
3x2 6GB Kingston something..
74GB 10k RPM (boot)
320GB 7,200 RPM(storage)
Gigabyte X58-USB3 F2
750 Power supply OCZ fatal1ty

Edit: I just booted up my computer and tried to open my NVIDIA Control Panel and got an error message saying "NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU." I'm starting to think it's the GPU...
October 29, 2011 7:21:43 AM

So your saying that your monitor is turning off or that your system is turning off? If its your system then its probably your PSU. Also if its your monitor is it completely shutting off or is it just saying "no display detected" or whatever
m
l
October 29, 2011 7:29:56 AM

Daioh said:
So your saying that your monitor is turning off or that your system is turning off? If its your system then its probably your PSU. Also if its your monitor is it completely shutting off or is it just saying "no display detected" or whatever

Oops, wrong wording. I meant to say my monitor goes on stand by, but my computer is still running. And when that process happens, I hear my game have like repetitive freezing noises.
m
l
October 29, 2011 7:45:19 AM

hmm... well i'm gonna assume all your drivers are updated. and if the monitor is going on standby then its likely a gpu problem(not necessarily though). What kind of display connector are you using? Also that repetitive freezing noises sounds similar to a problem that I had. Believe it or not it turns out the hard drive was the culprit of that so if i were you i would run a smart test on those with this http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612...
m
l
!