Sign in with
Your question

Bad memory or bad motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 1, 2012 3:48:57 AM

Hi all,

This my second time trying to install new memory and it causing random crashes. The first time I just it was bad memory but second time I'm beginning to this that there is some issue with my motherboard.

My current parts are
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Asus M4N68T-M V2 (originally ASUS M4A78T-E AM3)

I originally built it with a ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 motherboard, which died so I got this cheap replacement motherboard from Frys.

I initially tried to install some Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), but I had constant freezes/crashes so I switch my old memory back in and it was fine. This time I tried to install G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), and I had freezing/crashing as well. I'm confused because I looked up the motherboard specs and it is supposed to be able to handle these ram up to 8GB. I'm pretty sure I didn't bad memory twice in a row, so there must be some other issue motherboard compatibility or something.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should do? I got a good deal on this ram so I was looking forward to using it. Should I spring for a better motherboard?

Thanks in advance!!
a c 103 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 1, 2012 4:02:58 AM

Are you setting the voltage and timings in bios to the rams specs?
m
l
December 1, 2012 4:50:11 AM

bignastyid said:
Are you setting the voltage and timings in bios to the rams specs?

Is that necessary? I've never done it before. Should I try this, and will I have to set it back in the future? Maybe I should try doing a bios update first.
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 1, 2012 4:57:01 AM

If the ram requires 1.8v and you are running at the stock 1.5v it may cause the issue you are having. I'd check and see if the bios update fixes memory issues.
m
l
December 1, 2012 5:49:06 AM

bignastyid said:
If the ram requires 1.8v and you are running at the stock 1.5v it may cause the issue you are having. I'd check and see if the bios update fixes memory issues.

It says 1.5V
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The bios update did not help. Then I set the voltage to 1.5V and the timing to 9-9-9-24-2N (well I couldn't find the setting for the last part, the command rate?).
It's booted up, and hasn't crashed so far. *FINGERS CROSSED*
m
l
December 1, 2012 7:02:41 AM

Oh never mind it is still crashing, although it is taking a little longer to do so. Now I have no idea what to do. New motherboard?
m
l
a c 103 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 1, 2012 7:10:20 AM

Sounds like more of a memory controller issue and that is part of the CPU. Try resetting bios defaults.
m
l
December 1, 2012 6:47:19 PM

bignastyid said:
Sounds like more of a memory controller issue and that is part of the CPU. Try resetting bios defaults.

Okay I loaded default bios settings. It ran for awhile and then rebooted.
m
l
a c 103 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 1, 2012 7:32:06 PM

Well its either the motherboard or cpu, or you have really bad luck with ram. Just to verify have you tried using 1 stick at a time?
m
l
December 2, 2012 1:23:08 AM

bignastyid said:
Well its either the motherboard or cpu, or you have really bad luck with ram. Just to verify have you tried using 1 stick at a time?

I tried with only 1 stick and so far it's been running fine for a few hours.
m
l
a c 103 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 2, 2012 2:14:07 AM

Switch to the other and see what happens.
m
l
December 2, 2012 5:53:40 AM

bignastyid said:
Switch to the other and see what happens.

Switched to other stick (in other slot). Works fine. Now to try both again....
m
l
a c 103 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 2, 2012 6:18:42 AM

So the ram is ok. The memory controller just doesn't seen to wasn't to work with 8gb.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 2, 2012 8:21:45 AM

Consider trying something completely different, such as a product with a boring name and a truthful speed rating.
m
l
December 2, 2012 8:20:21 PM

bignastyid said:
So the ram is ok. The memory controller just doesn't seen to wasn't to work with 8gb.

Is that an issue with the cpu? Should I switch both my motherboard and cpu? Maybe I'll try intel instead
m
l
a c 103 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 3, 2012 12:09:59 AM

Kind of a toss up. The memory controller is on the CPU but it could also be a communication issue between the ram and CPU. Without a know good CPU or motherboard there's no way to be sure.
m
l
December 3, 2012 4:30:25 AM

i guess i'll just hold on to these memory sticks for future when I get new mobo/cpu.
m
l
December 3, 2012 4:53:34 AM

Sometimes specs doesn't always account for a board's true functionality. You either get a dud, a board that meets those specs, or one that works fine in some ways, functions, but has issues with what it's supposed to be capable of in some areas. And honestly that board is outdated and would be best used for like an extra web surfing PC with the original RAM installed. At this point just grab a new AM3+ board. The 720 is still a good proc and will hold you off for a while until you can grab a new proc for that AM3+ mobo.
m
l
December 3, 2012 7:56:54 AM

decipherfreak said:
I was looking at these two mobo
asrock
gigabyte

any comments? the asrock looks good to me.

I was also looking at the phenom ii x4 965.

That Gigabyte mobo is pretty sweet. But since it is AM3+ and you're already looking at a new proc just grab this:

I Popped one in my GF's comp and it's pretty damn amazing. And very easy to give a slight OC to4.5 GHz on stock voltage.
Not to mention that these chip run pretty cool.
m
l
!