I'll need someones opinion on this

shossofe

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
I'm building a PC for my family with old parts from my previous computer (some new). After i screwed in the mobo (w/ the cpu in the socket), I went ahead and tested the power supply to see if the system would turn on. PSU fan spun up and the lights on my MSI board were shining red so power was ok. I then went ahead and did everything else. Install heatsink, plug in CPU power, mount all my drives, and put in the GFX card. Afterwords, I try to turn the system on and nothing I expected happened. The fans spin up for a split second, everything lights up. One beep sounds up, then the system shuts down. I can't even turn it back on until I power cycle it. What do you think is the problem? I tried removing my GFX card and the same thing happens. I tried looking around Google but I find a lot of different answers. Some even say that one beep means the computer is fine :??: .

Some things to note:
MSI board LGA775 (not sure what model, it's been several years)
Intel Core2Duo processor
Thermaltake PSU
3 sticks of RAM (was in the socket when I first screwed in mobo)
The beep I hear is a short one. Press power button, fans spin up for a split second. Hear one short beep. System shuts down.

24 pin locked into place, Cpu power plugged in nicely, Heatsink plugged in, GFX was/is plugged in w/ power. RAM is fitted in. What do you guys think is the problem here? Is it the heatsink?

Thanks.

shossofe

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Sure, I was about to do that until I started getting tired. I'll do it in the morning =P.

The mobo I'm using was the first mobo I have ever bought so I did plenty of troubleshooting with it. I never experienced it just shutting off so suddenly though. In the past, it would at least turn on and not boot if there was memory issues. I will try the one stick method and report back later.

The Thermaltake PSU is probably the weak link. The CPU tries to max draw everything at the same time quickly during POST and old non name brand PSUs can handle it for a while but they lose their ability to handle it over time.

If you can, try switching in a name brand PSU and see if it boots up.

If you have to, you can buy one from Best Buy and then after you try it take it back to the store and get a refund.

shossofe

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

I just recently tested the new PSU with my main and spare computers. It works fine so I'm thinking the problem either lies with:

1) I somehow installed the Heatsink wrong.
2) Something to do with the mobo.

Just wondering, when installing the FRIO Heatsink (the original, not the OCK) I skipped a step since the instructions were kinda confusing. The step I skipped was placing these pieces of rubber between the plate and the back of the mobo. Does that direct contact with the mobo/heatsink matter?

I will put it this way. If you don't use the separators at all and you just screw the motherboard directly into the case, there is a 100% chance your computer will never boot.

The separators are extremely important to prevent short circuits on the case. Go back and fix them and then see if it works.

If it doesn't, report that it still doesn't work.

Then we can help further.

shossofe

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

I ended up taking the whole PC apart and put it in a cardboard box. Heatsink was plugged in but not attached. One stick of RAM was plugged in. I think the mobo is just busted at this point =\