Core i5 2500k and 1600mhz RAM?

bananasauce34

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Hey guys i am totally new to building a computer. I have read many threads on this forum and still cant figure out answers.

I will be building with a :

Core i5 2500k
As rock z77 extreme4

It says the max ram speed the core i5 2500k takes is 1333mHZ. I bought bought 2 types of ram. I have the 8GB ripjaws x with timings 9-9-9-24 1.5v. I also have the 16GB Corsair vengeance with timings 10-10-10-27 at 1.5v.

1st Question: Will 1600 mhz ram work with my cpu/mobo combo? If it does does................will it cause stability / damage?
2nd: Do I have to turn on XMP? If i turn on XMP do i have change the timings and voltage? Does XMP cause any damage?

Thanks

Solution
1600 RAM works just fine with the 2500K (see my sig) and as far as I know, there aren't any issues with it with a 2500K on a Z77 board.

You don't have to use X.M.P., it's just easier than setting all the settings manually (which you can absolutely do, if you want).

To load the X.M.P. profile, just go to OC Tweaker in the BIOS and go to Load XMP Setting and select Profile 1.

And of course X.M.P. doesn't cause any damage. It's perfectly safe with 1.5V RAM.

Only use one kit at a time, of course. I'd say just use the 16GB kit.
1600 RAM works just fine with the 2500K (see my sig) and as far as I know, there aren't any issues with it with a 2500K on a Z77 board.

You don't have to use X.M.P., it's just easier than setting all the settings manually (which you can absolutely do, if you want).

To load the X.M.P. profile, just go to OC Tweaker in the BIOS and go to Load XMP Setting and select Profile 1.

And of course X.M.P. doesn't cause any damage. It's perfectly safe with 1.5V RAM.

Only use one kit at a time, of course. I'd say just use the 16GB kit.

Solution

Xttony

Distinguished
1. It will work with your processor, and won't cause and stability issues or damage, that is if you plug them properly.
2. No you don't need to. Although if you are planning to install both the card sets corsair and gskill then you need to put them in different coloured slots (meaning corsair in one coloured and gskill in the other coloured) . This way you can set the timings for each channel in your bios. And as the timings are different you might want to do it.

Can't do that. One setting goes for all modules installed. That's why you shouldn't really ever use unmatched kits. The slowest of the settings will be what will have to be used for all modules (10-10-10-27 in this case).

That's why I say just stick with the 16GB kit only (if you really need that much RAM).

empty213

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

he's right! :D

Xttony

Distinguished

Actually my bios can gigabyte ga ex58 ds4 (award bios) so I thought his board can also

I've never had any experience with a LGA 1366 board, so that may be specific to just those (or even specific to just certain 1366 boards).

I know every board that I've ever worked with only allows one setting for all modules, though.