Sign in with
Your question

Custom build help.

Last response: in Components
January 29, 2012 11:42:37 PM

I haven't built a computer in awhile and I'm unfamiliar with the new hardware that's available and I have certain requirements and some specific needs. Any insight will be appreciated.

A little background:
I recently lost everything in a divorce and I will be living in a modified school bus or fifth wheel trailer for the forsee-able future so I have limited space and some financial limitations, but I don't mind taking my time and waiting a little longer to buy quality components if the performance jump is big enough, and there isn't some major shift in computing tech in the near future. I'll post pictures if anyone is interested.

Outside of work, this will be a major source of entertainment and distraction for me, so I want it to be good and last a little while.

I want to run a small form factor triple boot system with Mac OSX Lion, Windows 7 and PCLinuxOS, so the components should be easily used for a hackintosh or linux build. (I'm thinking intel i7/nvidia gtx560Ti from what I've read so far).

Is 3D enabled graphics worth getting at this point?
Also gonna buy a playstation for blu-ray duty.

I considered a 27" imac or mac mini and display for space considerations, or maybe using a 1080p tv as a monitor/tv with a laptop hidden behind it. I'm not sure how I feel about the pc all-in-ones from hp or if they're even good for gaming or photoshop at all. Does a touch screen do as good as a wacom tablet or cintiq screen? These would save on space, but I don't know if they add up to anything as adequate, effective or inexpensive as just building my own a piece at a time......your thoughts? I also read that the new imacs require a converter to run playstation systems through the imac thunderbolt monitor....kind of a turn off.

In lieu of that....
I am thinking I want a 3 monitor set-up mounted on a pole attached to wall, to save desk space. I don't know if I can get a small form factor miniATX, MicroITX atom set-up or maybe even a modified laptop to perform as well as just a standard ATX mobo, but I don't want or need a gigantic piece of equipment taking up space on the bus.

I will be doing video editing, photoshop, gaming, video conferencing, movie watching, website builds and, of course, web surfing.

I will also have a small woodshop in the back of the bus, so something sealed and/or ruggedized like the military grade asus sabretooth boards seem like a good option.

Please help.

Any thought's or questions about the subject would be appreciated. I may not know, what I don't know.

More about : custom build

January 29, 2012 11:44:07 PM

Use a 6870, mac os can't use a 560ti, the best board for a hackintosh is the gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 as you can see in my sig.
m
l
January 30, 2012 2:05:53 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, will look at them now.
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2012 2:31:38 AM

I might also build my own custom mounted case to fit on the pole along with the monitors.
m
l
January 30, 2012 2:33:25 AM

That 6870 will work, however I would go with a sandybridge hackintosh.
m
l
January 30, 2012 3:44:29 AM

Is there any way to use laptop parts in a custom case to keep the size small and still get good results? They lay flat and would be easy to fit behind a monitor or under a keyboard.

Regular mobos are just huge. Is their performance that much better? Life expectancy for most tech seems to be obsolete in under 3 years anyway in my experience.
Is there any way to mount video cards at right angles with an adapter or anything to keep them thin?.....like to fit in a briefcase or something?
m
l
January 30, 2012 3:49:58 AM

amuffin said:
Where on that page says you can use the 560ti?

Don't they list several builds with gigabyte motherboards using 560's?

Like:
GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 Intel Z68/ICH10 Hardware:

Intel Core i7 2600k
MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr ll

Notes:

Installed with Tonymac's guide: Tonymacx86

Kexts:

All drivers from Multibeast
For full QE/CI: added dev id to NVDAGF100HAL.kext, installed ATY_init.kext, set GraphicsEnabler to yes, npci=0x2000, followed this guide
DSDT from the Tonymacx86 DSDT Database

Found on this page....
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.7.2#...
m
l
January 30, 2012 4:03:21 AM

mytomshardwarename said:
Don't they list several builds with gigabyte motherboards using 560's?

Like:
GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 Intel Z68/ICH10 Hardware:

Intel Core i7 2600k
MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr ll

Notes:

Installed with Tonymac's guide: Tonymacx86

Kexts:

All drivers from Multibeast
For full QE/CI: added dev id to NVDAGF100HAL.kext, installed ATY_init.kext, set GraphicsEnabler to yes, npci=0x2000, followed this guide
DSDT from the Tonymacx86 DSDT Database

Found on this page....
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.7.2#...

Hm interesting, guess I never noticed that.
m
l
January 30, 2012 4:07:59 AM

mytomshardwarename said:
Is there any way to use laptop parts in a custom case to keep the size small and still get good results? They lay flat and would be easy to fit behind a monitor or under a keyboard.

Regular mobos are just huge. Is their performance that much better? Life expectancy for most tech seems to be obsolete in under 3 years anyway in my experience.
Is there any way to mount video cards at right angles with an adapter or anything to keep them thin?.....like to fit in a briefcase or something?

This could be an option: http://chrislowthian.co.uk/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-ma... go with mini itx parts.
m
l
January 30, 2012 4:27:26 AM

mytomshardwarename said:
http://www.falcon-nw.com/laptops/drx

This would seem to indicate that a laptop-size, desktop-performance computer is at least possible....now how to do it......

Not in a hackintosh! :) 
m
l
!