PC shuts itself down after restarting

RoninNinja

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hey guys! I'm a longtime reader of this site, first time poster!

I've had an issue with restarting my pc while inside windows (via start menu windows 7) it restarts/POSTs itself just fine, but while loading the "starting windows" screen, my pc usually shuts itself off. I know its probably due to overheating and the Pc is shutting itself off to prevent damage, but If I physically shut off my pc via on/off switch, it starts up just fine and launches windows normally! ;) is this problem due to dust buildup or is it something else? It boots just fine if i just use the switch!

^ There's you're problem right there. Sorry i couldn't help myself :)

This is a little unlikely, since it powers up after a switch off. Usually I only have to do that with a bad BIOS setting or after a crash. But since its so old have a look for bulging caps. I have one i am working on now that does the whole shut down at the loading screen. If they are just starting to go they can be very finicky

id be guessing its a borderline psu issue... so 1s you get it running. try running prime 95 with real temp to make sure its not over heating, while you check system stability. also have cpu-z or hwmoniotr running to make sure the volts are within the correct range...
if it passes say 20 mins of prime 95 then try furmark to stress the gpu. this time run gpu-z to chet the volts and temps.

TRENDING THREADS