Will buying a non-qualified RAM affect stability if NOT overclocked?

XYMan

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
The question is in the title.

The motherboard I want to buy (P8Z77-V) has some nice qualified Corsair models that I've been meaning to choose from (this one in particular), however, I stumbled upon this Memory Finder by Corsair recently and it's been really pissing me off because NONE of the qualified models from Asus match the qualified models from Corsair for that specific motherboard.

I also noticed that the Corsair memory finder showed me only the most expensive models it can, that's why I'm starting to think that this memory finder pushes ONLY the models Corsair wants to sell down the customers' throats for more blood monnies.

Now, I called both Asus and Corsair and they both said if I'm not overclocking the RAM it shouldn't really matter if it's qualified or not and that qualified RAM is generally tested while overclocked to know what are the ideal RAM models to have when overclocking a certain system.

Personally, I wouldn't have really cared for overclocking if not for the fact that I sometimes like to OC my systems after they get quite old to make them survive another few months or maybe a year and I was just wondering what do you guys think? Would it really matter to get an unqualified RAM, and if so, would I be able to OC it later without having much trouble?

None of the board makers have time to test all the ram brands and model numbers. I would stick with cl9 9-9-9-24 ram at 1.5v if you are worried about stability. Either 1333 or 1600 will work fine; many Intel boards default to 1333 anyway. For more info, download the P8z77 board manual and read it before ordering. Asus sometimes won't post with some ram, but it's rare, especially with the ram type I recommended. I personally buy whatever ram is on sale; I'm not so brand loyal. I currently use gskill ripjawsX 1333 in my asus h61 board, and it works flawlessly.

XYMan

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Hmm, this gives me some stuff to think about, but you didn't answer my question. What if I bought a non-qualified ghetto RAM kit? Will that run better/worse that I'm expecting it to run? Will I have too much BSODs? Will it work for OCing? TELL ME NOAW! D:

I can't guarantee perfect stability with any asus or asrock board. They have more bios adjustments than other board brands; you need to tweak them sometimes to get perfection. But my ripjawsX works great with the asus UEFI bios, so get this brand if you're worried. I've used it in several boards, asus and non asus, and it runs well. It's not great for overclocking. Here's some ram that overclocks well, but few people use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

XYMan

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I have used GSkill before twice and they worked great but I HATE the built quality of them, everytime I try to mount and unmount them something breaks in them or something, they're just terrible crappy plastic, even in their higher end and most expensive models. Corsair on the other hand knows how to market things, eventhough they always make you pay for the good looking stuff, they never make you charge for the built quality or the general quality of the products for that matter. Their customer support is legendary and their website is extremely useful and easy to use unlike GSkill's, and those are important factors in my eyes.

I don't want to have the option to just buy a perfect for all RAM model or any other part for that matter, what makes me happy is choosing what I really want from every part and what features would benefit me most, RAM for example: Mhz, latency, looks, etc. and that's what's great about Corsair, so I'm still asking if I buy a non qualified RAM would that cause any major problems in the future with or without OCing?
Thanks