Applying IC Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slickrick214

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Back in the spring I had a friend help me build a gaming computer. The processor is a 2500K with a Hyper 212 aftermarket cooler. I noticed my CPU fan ramping up alot so I took the fan and heatsink apart and dusted everything. I re-applied thermal paste with IC Diamod 7 using the grain of rice method. The problem is that the temperatures are now kind of high. Did I do something wrong? Is there a certain way to apply IC Diamond?

Solution
Yes IC Diamond is different then other thermal paste. It has to be applied a certain way to get the results. According to IC Diamonds website:

Application:

IC Diamond is composed mostly of diamond powder (92%), and as such is quite thick. This high viscosity is by design for increased reliability and it is what makes our application procedure different.

Proper application is critical to optimum performance. Squeeze onto the center of the CPU an amount of IC Diamond compound about the size of a pea (5.0mm to 5.5mm) on the center of the CPU where most heat is concentrated. Place the heat sink on the CPU and press it down to spread IC Diamond over the CPU's surface, (Do not remove the sink to check the spread as it will...
Yes IC Diamond is different then other thermal paste. It has to be applied a certain way to get the results. According to IC Diamonds website:

Application:

IC Diamond is composed mostly of diamond powder (92%), and as such is quite thick. This high viscosity is by design for increased reliability and it is what makes our application procedure different.

Proper application is critical to optimum performance. Squeeze onto the center of the CPU an amount of IC Diamond compound about the size of a pea (5.0mm to 5.5mm) on the center of the CPU where most heat is concentrated. Place the heat sink on the CPU and press it down to spread IC Diamond over the CPU's surface, (Do not remove the sink to check the spread as it will introduce air into the joint). Clamp the heat sink and power up the PC

Also when done right this is how it should look

5-5.JPG

proper%2520application.JPG

http://innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

Solution

Slickrick214

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I think so too. I was use to doing that method with Artic Silver 5 and it seemed fine but I guess IC Diamond is different. Any way I wiped off the old thermal paste and re-applied using the method posted by RDS and it seems better. I'll give it some time to cure and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.