Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Gamer

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2011 2:44:51 PM

Last time I visited "Systems" I was rescued from going with a cheap generic power supply on my new desktop gaming PC. Now I need to replace my old gaming laptop instead of getting the video card repaired for the third time. So...

LED-Backlit 1080 display
MOTHERBOARD: Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Mobile Processor 2.20 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.10 GHz
HDD: 500GB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive]
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM PCIe Video
CD: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (MS17612)
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 a/b/g/n + Bluetooth WiFi Combo Card [Intel WiDi Ready]

Those components match my budget. Any suggestions for cost effective changes to this setup? Any other components I should be concerned about? Also, is a hybrid 500GB HD with a 30GB SSD worth an extra $45 over the plain vanilla HD for gaming purposes?

More about : laptop gamer

October 30, 2011 12:17:11 AM

Thanks.

If the SSD won't make a noticeable difference in gameplay, I'll put up with the load times. The old laptop had Vista so the load times on the new one will seem faster to me, anyway.

I got a cooler for the old laptop, but that was after the video card roasted the first time. I'm definitely getting another one, but it's better (Coolermaster) and I needed a bigger one since the old laptop was 15" and this one will be 17".
October 30, 2011 12:59:24 AM

An extra $45 to speed up load times seems reasonable to me.

Maybe getting a laptop cooler will help you avoid some repair costs this time around?
Related resources
October 30, 2011 3:50:52 AM

Seems like you will have a good gaming laptop then. I'm guessing it will have USB 3.0? You should be set. Of course, battery time will be minimal.
October 30, 2011 4:06:11 AM

Do you need the power in a gaming laptop though?

Its often much better to get a cheap netbook or low end laptop, and build a much more powerful desktop.

if that's not an option though, that looks like a great laptop.
October 30, 2011 1:10:21 PM

I'll have 2 x USB 2.0/2 x USB 3.0 internally and the cooler has 4 x USB 3.0. I think I ran the old one on battery a grand total of about 3 hours. My laptop is strictly a "motel machine". I spend 7-8 weeks on the road every year - all leisure travel - and I hate TV. I'm done working. I'd been shaving for about twenty years when I first played Doom.
[:bilbat:6]

My desktop is pretty current; i7 930/Radeon 5850.
October 30, 2011 1:41:52 PM

While I'm at it, will an external antenna on the laptop improve reception of the crappy wireless signal at my motel of choice? Do you know if this card has external antenna connectors and if so, what type? I've looked a the Intel website and still can't figure it out.

Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 a/b/g/n + Bluetooth WiFi Combo Card [Intel WiDi Ready]
October 30, 2011 6:42:25 PM

I might look at something like that, but first I'll try an a good external USB adapter with an antenna like this. Seems to work well for most people. I like the way you can detach the antenna and stick an extension cable on it (for a penny!).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UWLJ8C/ref=pd_lpo_...

An little story about Hampton Inn "high speed" wireless...

I was in Williamsburg , VA and tried to download Dragon Age II. After a DAY AND A HALF I had just under half the file. I went down to Merchant Square adjacent to Colonial Williamsburg and left the laptop in the truck in the parking lot while we walked around for about two hours. The free wireless provided by the merchants that covers about a four block area finished the job in the meantime. My understanding is that Hampton contracts with AT&T. That might explain it right there. I like Hampton but their wireless is universally lousy - often no better than dial-up.
!