Can an Edge card in a Tablet or Notebook function as a Cel..

This is undoubtedly a stupid question but I thought I would try. It
seems that you should be able to do this with some software on the
tablet or Notebook and an edge card.
3 answers Last reply
More about edge card tablet notebook function

    The Sony Ericsson GC83 cannot function as a cell phone, but I believe
    the Sierra Wireless 775 can. You can verify this and read up on the
    Sierra Wireless 775 card at:

    http://www.sierrawireless.com/ProductsOrdering/AC775.asp

    Note the following from Cingular's Plan Terms for data use.

    "Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, telemetry
    applications, automated data feeds, continuous jpeg file transfers, Web
    camera posts or broadcasts, other machine-to-machine applications, and
    voice over IP. These Services are not intended to provide full-time
    connections, and the Service may be discontinued after a significant
    period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage."

    <tpratt@ci.lincoln.ne.us> wrote in message
    > This is undoubtedly a stupid question but I thought I would try. It
    > seems that you should be able to do this with some software on the
    > tablet or Notebook and an edge card.

    I'm new to Cingular from Sprint. According to Sprint management, data
    packets are separated from voice packets at the 'tower controller'; each
    sent a different route. Thus a data card on Sprint can usually handle voice
    calls but at high charges of something like 20 cents a minute. There are
    times when that would be cheap.

    The gray area that everyone seems to dodge, is what happens if you use a
    VoIP service on the data side to make a voice call. Some cellular providers
    have claimed the ability to detect and block those calls to protect their
    voice earnings. I've not the to inclination to test.

    'Handsets as modem', Bluetooth and swappable SIMs, paired with products
    emerging this year are really going to strain the traditional cellular
    pricing model. Location Based Services via search engines to handsets may
    offer subscription Wi-Fi broadcasts within a convenient driving distance so
    the value of connection cards will decrease.

    The value of connection cards to my customers lies primarily in the ability
    to connect >while mobile< not from 'island hopping'.

Cingular Notebooks Tablets Internet Service Providers