I Got My Heatsink, Now What?

phingo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I am planning to switch out my stock heatsink for a cm hyper 212+ and do my first overclocking on my 2500k. My question is... what do I do before and after I install my heatsink? I know to check my temps and stuff but what programs do I use? Is there anything else besides checking your temps? If you guys know, then can you guys tell me the whole routine you guys do? Sorry I'm just really lost and stuff. Like how do you start if you don't know where to start? lol Tell me EVERYTHING (even if its just minor) because I want to learn :D Thanks

I have tried searching for an answer but i can't find any, if you do happen to find a post with the same problem then you can just post the link :D thanks again

phingo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
thanks guys and when im taking the temp readings, do you suggest i do it while the computer is idle? if yes then what do you mean by idle? is it just turning on the comp, running the programs and waiting for a how much minutes? thanks again

charels88

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
No you want to run a program like prime95 that maxes out the cpu! Keep in mind that the first few days your temps will slowly go down as the paste sets up. My cooler sits right at 60C under full load and yours should be less with a tower cooler. I run a Scythe Rasetsu top flow cooler and is a great cooler but not for extreme OC's.