Sign in with
Your question

Build Finalisation

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2011 3:11:23 PM

Just wanted to get final opinions on this build before it gets ordered. I was tempted to upgrade the X4 to an X6, but decided not to since most games won't benefit from the extra cores and as such won't justify the £60... not to mention that the motherboard still has got a fair amount of breathing space for future upgrading. I also looked at the new line of 8-core bulldozer CPUs but from what I understand, they are not as good as AMD make them out to be. I'm working to a £500 budget.

CASE: BitFenix Shinobi Black.......................................£ 47.99
MOBO: AsRock 970 Extreme........................................£ 82.99
CPU : AMD Phenom XII 965........................................£ 92.48
RAM : GSkill 8GB Kit DDR3 1600Mhz Ripjawsl...............£ 43.73
PSU : Thermaltake ToughPower XT 575W...................£ 56.18
ODD : Samsung SH-B123L BD-ROM CD/DVD±RW........£ 44.99
SSD : Crucial 64GB M4 SSD..........................................£ 69.99
TOTAL........................................................................£438.35

I'm taking over two fans, my two HDDs, the graphics card which is an XFX HD5670, a CD/DVD RW drive, perhaps the USB/Card controller thing aswell. The graphics card is a HD5670. The OS I've got is a free, unused copy of Windows 7 Professional 64bit I have lying around, which I'll be using. I may upgrade that to Ultimate at a later date. I also have a 250GB HDD that is sat unused that I could add to it. No idea what I'd use it for though.

Ideally I would've preferred to get all these from the same website. It is ready to order though.

------------------------

On the otherhand, I'm looking for ideas what to do with the current PC, it uses the BTX form factor, and getting parts for BTX computers now is difficult, and that coupled with its spec offers little, if no retail value at all. I could donate it to a charity, or send it off to get recycled, but I've no idea... not to mention that it would need a new case, and with it being a manufactured PC, it would make it harder to upgrade or resell.

More about : build finalisation

October 29, 2011 4:16:37 PM

I like a lot. Are you sure you want the ssd? with such a tight budget i'd say go for just a fast hdd.
Perhaps you can save that money and get a 6950 or at least a 6870
October 29, 2011 4:31:35 PM

vx53c said:
I like a lot. Are you sure you want the ssd? with such a tight budget i'd say go for just a fast hdd.
Perhaps you can save that money and get a 6950 or at least a 6870

The only real fast HDD I can think of is the Velociraptor. I've searched around for prices and the SSD seems to be the cheapest option. The SSD will only house the operating system and the 'Users' folder... everything else will be stored on the two harddrives. One is a 1.5TB Barracuda which will have all documents, music, videos etc on, the other is a 1TB Samsung F3 which will have all the games and programs on. Both are 7200 RPM, and both are SATA II. I'm not sure if harddrives have actually got to the point of hitting the SATA II data bandwidth limit yet though. Not to mention I would also like to save some money for a 3TB external drive to backup everything... either that or look at setting up RAID 1 on both HDDs. Not really thinking about that at the moment though.

With the potential of the motherboard, I would possibly looking at upgrading in the future, so I might wait on a graphics card upgrade...
!