I'm looking to build a new system and it's been a couple of years since the last time I went shopping. I'm hoping to get something soon before the flooding in Thailand starts kicking prices up on storage and whatnot. Any suggestions would be lovely.
1. This will be a gaming system, mostly SWTOR, Rage, and Diablo 3 some day... and I suppose some graphical work occasionally.
2. I will OC some, but I'm just now putting my toe in the water, so I won't be very aggressive.
3. This is my first system with SSD involved.
My basic build to start with is as follows:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 $200
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC $235
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz $315
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $50
System Drive: Crucial M4 256GB $365
Storage Drive Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $70
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 650D $190
Power Seasonic SS-850HT $124
Heat Sink CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 $74
That puts me in for $1,566 as a base price.
Questions that come to mind (and would welcome any others).
1. 8GB of RAM enough? OS will be Win 7 Professional (64-bit)
2. Current monitor is an LG L227W (DVI-D). Am I short-changing myself by keeping this monitor?
3. Most reviews seemed tepid on the SSD's in the 128GB range, compared to the 256GB. Is it worth the extra $$? And yes, I have a Steam library to manage.
4. Spinpoint F3 drive is currently out of stock at NewEgg and Fry's. Any suggestions on HDD if I can't find it at a decent price with a vendor I trust?
You won't need the i7 2600k. The motherboard is too expensive for what it does. I recommend an equivalent Gigabyte model or Asrock extreme4 gen3.
I'd rather go with AMD's 6950 as a gfx card.
At this point crucial m4 256 seems too much. Maybe 128giga suffices. I got a patriot 240 so i am not one to speak but you could thrown in the money on an extra 6950.
HDD is spendid, so is PSU and case
The 8 giga or ram is enough unless you are going to be using this rig professionally on image editing and videos.
CPU cooler is good, consider H80 or air cooling along the lines of Xigmatek Aegir/Zalman X10 Performa/Corsair A70
The monitor is "ok". I value my eyes highly so i got samsungs and keep away from LG.
My build was in a Corsair 900t in white. It have lots of room for parts and plenty of room behind the motherboard for wires. It's also about $50 less. I would put more money in a gpu and with the i5 2500k and case savings.
Okay, I've been looking through the threads here at other builds, and man - my head is spinning!
Based on feed back here and other places, I've boiled my questions (for now!) to the following:
1. ASUS P8Z68-V LE - motherboard - ATX - LGA1155 Socket. Used with an i5 2500k, SSD (120GB+), and a single gfx card, do I want to enable LucidLogix Virtu?
2. Do I need to worry about USB 3.0 on the front panel? Seems like most things that would use 3.0 would be components that you wouldn't plug in at a moments notice (ext. HDD, scanner, etc.). Or is that wrong?
3. At what point do you stop obsessing and just go out and buy the darned thing?