Seeking advice on upgrade from Radeon 4870

JonnyP

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I am looking to upgrade my graphics card in advance for the upcoming fall games (Skyrim, BF3, Rage, etc.). I would like these games to run at 1920x1080 in as high of detail as possible.

My computer, according to Speccy:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
Yorkfield 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. Maximus II Formula (LGA 775)
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (ATI)
Hard Drives
1954GB Western Digital WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 ATA Device (SATA)

Since, Speccy doesn't provide PSU information, here is a newegg link to the (decativated) PSU I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153043&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

I can provide further details if they are needed.

I believe my motherboard only supports AMD cards, however:

Motherboard
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model Maximus II Formula
Version System Version
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P45/P43/G45/G43
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801JR (ICH10R)
Southbridge Revision 00

I'm trying to determine if I can get 1-2 more years out of this system if I upgrade the graphics card. I don't want to put cards into Crossfire; I'm looking for a single GPU solution.

Based on my configuration, is there potential in this system to have new life with a current-gen GPU? Also of note is whether I should wait until later in the year, presuming that AMD launches a new line of Radeon GPUs?

Thanks!

sneeks83

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I am in the same situation as you Kinda stuck >< from what i have gained doing research is the new radeon cards arent really that much better then the older cards in crossfire though the 6950 a great card the 6850 should do you fine and can eventually crossfire it if you needed to. I would recommend upgrading to ddr3 ram for online gaming helped me out a lot on counter strike source might need to upgrade your Mobo hope this helps though you do have an intel chip maybe Nvidia cards would be better in that case i really like the 560 ti great card