Good enough as is, upgrade now, or wait to upgrade?

weedundant

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Hi everyone :D

Seeking advice on what to do with my current computer that I built about 3 years ago. First off, the specs:

Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz
Memory: 4 GB DDR2
Video: VisionTek Radeon HD 4870
Storage: WD 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s (x2)
(let me know if I left anything pertinent out)

So my question is, with all these new games coming out (BF3 and Skyrim most importantly), how do you think my computer will fare? I haven't paid any attention to new hardware coming out in the last 3 years, so I'm not sure what would be worth upgrading. I know my comp won't perform as good as, say a new i7, but do you think this is pretty good right now?

I was thinking it might be worth it to upgrade to Windows 7 and get a new SSD specifically for that, and I think that would be a fairly cheap upgrade (~$300?), but I'm not sure if my mobo supports it (SATA III right?). The other upgrade I was considering was for the video card, but I really have no idea how my current one compares to newer ones, and how much benefit I would really get from upgrading it.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any insight!

You didn't list the power supply which is important in upgrading the video card. Your motherboard is not sata3 or usb 3.0. You can get a sata3 SSD if you also have a free x1 slot and want to gat a sata3 addon card for it. As far as the games go there was a review posted in TomsHardware that you should read;

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063.html\

This will be helpful in your decision making for a new video card.

chelu

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Win 7 would be a great update for you. I also think that you can safely overclock your CPU up to around 3.2 GHz with stock cooling and maybe add in a GeForce GTX 560 TI if you want to play BF3 and Skyrim. A SSD wouldn't be a great update for gaming. You didn't mention the resolution you play at.

weedundant

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks everyone. So the idea I'm getting is that a new SSD/windows 7 won't really impact gaming that much, but might just be nice in general for regular use. I do have a brand new monitor and would like to play in 1920x1080 if possible, so it sounds like I would most likely need a new video card for this. Is there anything stopping me from getting a new top of the line video card, like either my mobo is too old for it or I should upgrade to 8GB memory first? Any video card recommendations for the best bang for your buck?

Edit: I'm now debating between a Radeon 6950 or a GTX 560Ti, but am not 100% positive my PSU will support them. They say they require a 6-pin connection, but the specs for my PSU doesn't list a 6-pin connection. It does however list 2 x PCI-Express connections, is that the same thing?