Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1000-1100 Gaming PC Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 29, 2011 4:49:31 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Late December

Budget Range: $1000-1100 CAD (would prefer to keep it at about $1000, though).

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, work, casual video editing, surfing the Internet.

Parts Not Required: Mouse, Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg or TigerDirect (.ca)

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU. No preferences in terms of GPU.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes.

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 for now.

Additional Comments: Will need a large HDD as I store a ton of stuff. Will play a lot of intensive games so (a) good GPU(s) (is)are a must. Current PC has a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and Geforce 7300LE with 2GB of RAM. Getting another 1920x1080 monitor. Would like some good case suggestions, too. Not too sure about the one I mentioned below. I am willing to wait until January to purchase the parts and build the PC, though (in case of better, soon-to-be released parts).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My ideas:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge - $319.99
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz - $224.99

Motherboard: EVGA P67 SLI Micro 120-SB-E672-KR LGA 1155 Intel P67 - $149.99
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard - $149.99

GPU (2, SLI): EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB - $319.98

HDD: HITACHI Deskstar 1TB 7200 RPM - $152.99
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s - $153.99

SSD: OCZ Vertex Series 30GB SSD - $61.00
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $119.99

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black - $18.99

Memory: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 - $42.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 - $47.99

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS - $69.99
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - $119.99

Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 - $39.99

Case: RAIDMAX Altas ATX-295WB Mid Tower Case - $49.99
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $69.99

Total: $1,185.91 $1,265.89

One important sidenote, I would like for this PC (which will be used as my main) to be future-proofed for at least the next 5 years. As this is a gaming PC, I'll obviously change the GPU over the course of the years but I don't plan on changing the CPU, RAM and other stuff.

More about : 1000 1100 gaming build

October 29, 2011 5:16:37 PM

Unless you need hyper threading in some of your work you don't need it for gaming , so oyu can save $100 by going with the i5 2500k and it will overclock the same as the 2600k. What is the purpose of the 30gb SSD ? The 460's is that the price for one or two ? The power supply should be higher with two video cards , at least 750w. For the same price you can double your hdd space;

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682... $157.49
m
0
l
October 29, 2011 5:18:46 PM

2500k is the best bang for buck.2600k and 2500k are same in terms of gamaing.
get this mobo-
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
2x 460s are good but no future upgradibility.instead get this one-
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
do you really wanna spend $160 on a HDD???why???
get this one-
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
get this RAM for only 5 more bucks-
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
use the saved money here-
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
this case is very popular and one of the best cases for the price-
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
you mentioned that you may be overclocking.but overclocking on the stock heatsink is just like throwing your CPU in fire(IMO).adjust this thing in your setup-http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...
all the best.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 29, 2011 5:21:46 PM

inzone said:
Unless you need hyper threading in some of your work you don't need it for gaming , so oyu can save $100 by going with the i5 2500k and it will overclock the same as the 2600k. What is the purpose of the 30gb SSD ? The 460's is that the price for one or two ? The power supply should be higher with two video cards , at least 750w. For the same price you can double your hdd space;

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682... $157.49

Yeah, I'll switch to the i5 2500k. 30GB SSD is the boot drive. For the 460, that's for the price of two. Any suggestions for the power supply?

And I'll definitely be getting that HDD. 2TB of space is a welcome addition.
m
0
l
October 29, 2011 5:24:48 PM

hellfire24 said:
2500k is the best bang for buck.2600k and 2500k are same in terms of gamaing.
get this mobo-
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
2x 460s are good but no future upgradibility.instead get this one-
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
do you really wanna spend $160 on a HDD???why???
get this one-
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
get this RAM for only 5 more bucks-
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
use the saved money here-
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
this case is very popular and one of the best cases for the price-
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
you mentioned that you may be overclocking.but overclocking on the stock heatsink is just like throwing your CPU in fire(IMO).adjust this thing in your setup-http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...
all the best.

Two GTX 570 is most definitely out of budget ($739.98). Will change to the case, RAM, mobo and heatsink you suggested.
m
0
l
October 29, 2011 5:33:43 PM

I know you are on a tight budget but 30gb for a boot drive is very small , you have to accout for updates and you have no room for anything else. A 60gb or 90gb would give you a little more breathing room and possibly put your current game on it. Since you are in no rush you do have Black Friday coming up at the end of November and you could catch some good sales that would let you upgrade the components a little. Power supply , I like Antec and have had good success with them over the years;

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$119.99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

I know it's higher than the one you had selected but as I said you may catch a sale coming up and you can shift savings aroud to get what you need. Already with the 2500k you are saving $100 and with further savings you can get better components.
m
0
l
October 29, 2011 5:46:03 PM

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$119.99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

I have had a 64gb SSD as my boot drive and it did aproach the maximum capacity and I had to start making choices as to what I wanted on the boot drive and make sure anything I loaded went to other drives but there always seemed to be some things that slipped through and the OS I had was Win XP 64Bit. I now have a 180gb SSD as the boot drive and Win 7 64 bit , without any games on it I have 99gb free space.
m
0
l
October 29, 2011 5:59:13 PM

inzone said:
I know you are on a tight budget but 30gb for a boot drive is very small , you have to accout for updates and you have no room for anything else. A 60gb or 90gb would give you a little more breathing room and possibly put your current game on it. Since you are in no rush you do have Black Friday coming up at the end of November and you could catch some good sales that would let you upgrade the components a little. Power supply , I like Antec and have had good success with them over the years;

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$119.99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

I know it's higher than the one you had selected but as I said you may catch a sale coming up and you can shift savings aroud to get what you need. Already with the 2500k you are saving $100 and with further savings you can get better components.


inzone said:
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$119.99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

I have had a 64gb SSD as my boot drive and it did aproach the maximum capacity and I had to start making choices as to what I wanted on the boot drive and make sure anything I loaded went to other drives but there always seemed to be some things that slipped through and the OS I had was Win XP 64Bit. I now have a 180gb SSD as the boot drive and Win 7 64 bit , without any games on it I have 99gb free space.


Yeah, you have a point there with the boot drive. I'll use the 64GB SSD instead of the current one. As for the PSU, I thought the current one was fine but I suppose the fact that it's 750W (versus 600W) makes up for the price.
m
0
l
!