Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Fluctuating Temperature with OC i5 2500k

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 30, 2012 6:05:31 AM

:hello:  When I run my i5 2500k OC to 4.4 ghz under Prime 95 test for about 2 hours, the different in temperature between core 1 and 3 is tremendous. My Cpu cooler is CM 212 Evo.
Core 1: 54C
Core 2: 61C
Core 3: 67C
Core 4: 60C
What can possible explain the huge different in temperature? Is it because I'm placing the heatsink onto the CPU incorrectly?
Hopefully someone will me. Many Thank to those who will.
PS. It's my first time asking a question so excuse me if i make any mistake :) 
a c 186 à CPUs
January 30, 2012 6:20:06 AM

Not all cores will run at the same heat level, certain cores will be hotter than others.
Score
0
January 30, 2012 9:26:03 PM

I agree with that but why is it such big different between the temperature? Shouldn't the different in temperature be roughly between 5c-10?
Score
0
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2012 9:36:26 PM

Are you using the integrated graphics?
Score
0
January 30, 2012 9:45:39 PM

Each core is stressed more or less then the others at any given moment.. that is a quite a difference, but i doubt it has anything to do with how your heatsink is seated.
Score
0
January 30, 2012 10:00:05 PM

geekapproved said:
Are you using the integrated graphics?

No I am using a GTX 550Ti at the moment.
Score
0
January 30, 2012 10:03:38 PM

joemama069 said:
Each core is stressed more or less then the others at any given moment.. that is a quite a difference, but i doubt it has anything to do with how your heatsink is seated.

It doesn't seem normal to me at all because core 1 is also running a lot cooler compared to all the other core. Shouldn't all the cores within the processor run as fast as each other? Therefore, the temperature should be even between all of them if the benchmark is pushing all cores to 100% usage.
Score
0
a c 186 à CPUs
January 30, 2012 10:17:42 PM

Use a different program. Hwmonitor.
Score
0
January 30, 2012 10:39:12 PM

amuffin said:
Use a different program. Hwmonitor.

So i ran Hwmonitor and prime 95, the result is still the same.
Is it odd for core 1 max temp to be 51C while core 3 max temp reaches 64C? core 2 and 4 are at similar temp of 54-55C? Why is core 1 temperature so low? I would expect it to be running at the same temp as core 2 and 4.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2012 11:04:25 PM

I've had 8c fluctuations on past cpu's but not quite that much. My i3 cores run within 5c of each other.
Score
0
January 30, 2012 11:59:35 PM

geekapproved said:
I've had 8c fluctuations on past cpu's but not quite that much. My i3 cores run within 5c of each other.

But the temperature on my cores is just so random, i expected them to be similar to each other like 60C for all cores because each cores receive equal cooling.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 12:20:41 PM

No there will always be fluctuations between every core, you have to remember some of them are being used and some are not. Some are getting more load than others, some less.
Score
0
a c 116 à CPUs
January 31, 2012 12:56:22 PM

a poor sample can give that size variation... have you had to use slightly higher volts to get your oc stable in comparison to what others use?. if so it could be down to the quality of the cpu...

you could try resiting the cpu but its unlikely to show any major improvement.
prime 95 should give consistent results within or around 2 degrees per core. as the cpu should be maxed out evenly over all the cores. but again thats on a persample basis.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 1:07:21 PM

Have you tried reapplying your thernal paste with the card method?
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 6:05:00 PM

card method? One size does not fit all when it comes to thermal paste. I suggest following the directions on the package, they are all different.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 8:00:08 PM

Those temps, on average, suggest the heatsink is seated OK.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 9:11:52 PM

The 212 has a wide contact surface and might not be getting the correct conductivity in certain areas. Its just a suggestion.
Score
0
February 1, 2012 3:51:34 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
The 212 has a wide contact surface and might not be getting the correct conductivity in certain areas. Its just a suggestion.

I also though about this, the thing is that when i put on the headsink i was not 100% sure that the the whole CPU is covered by the copper area, any suggestion on how i can put the head sink on perfectly?
Score
0
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 5:07:18 AM

evilphuc said:
:hello:  When I run my i5 2500k OC to 4.4 ghz under Prime 95 test for about 2 hours, the different in temperature between core 1 and 3 is tremendous. My Cpu cooler is CM 212 Evo.
Core 1: 54C
Core 2: 61C
Core 3: 67C
Core 4: 60C
What can possible explain the huge different in temperature? Is it because I'm placing the heatsink onto the CPU incorrectly?
Hopefully someone will me. Many Thank to those who will.
PS. It's my first time asking a question so excuse me if i make any mistake :) 


It looks very normal to me, factoring in the fact that not all cores are going to be used the same at the same loads and temps or some will be throttling up and others down, then the fact that the HS/F cooler is going to have varying heat dissipation, then the fan is going to be blowing that heat off, looks quite normal.
Score
0

Best solution

February 1, 2012 8:10:06 PM

I have an Icore 5 2500k only OC'd to 4.0ghz in turbo and my temps though lower under load (Using a Noctua NH-U9B Cooler ) are varying the same as yours, Core 0 is atm 24C but Core 3 is 29C Idle, and I know I've applied my TIM and set cooler correctly, as above have stated its quite normal.
Share
February 2, 2012 12:50:14 AM

Best answer selected by evilphuc.
Score
0
February 2, 2012 12:51:22 AM

stechappo said:
I have an Icore 5 2500k only OC'd to 4.0ghz in turbo and my temps though lower under load (Using a Noctua NH-U9B Cooler ) are varying the same as yours, Core 0 is atm 24C but Core 3 is 29C Idle, and I know I've applied my TIM and set cooler correctly, as above have stated its quite normal.

I see i guess i have to accept the fact that the cpu temperature will not be neck to neck with each other.
Score
0
February 2, 2012 12:52:26 AM

Many thanks to people who tried to help me with my problems. This is a great community and i will definitely come here again to seek out help in the future.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 9:38:42 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!