Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help on deciding. OCZ vs Corsair

Last response: in Components
Share
January 30, 2012 6:13:47 AM

So I'm upgrading my computer and I was thinking maybe upgrading my PSU too so I won't have to later on since I'm thinking about running crossfire/sli in the future and maybe adding a few hard drives in.

I've come down to these two choices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm having a hard time making up my mind between these two PSUs. These two PSUs are both fully modular, they're both 80 plus gold, and both have at least 5 year warranty (even though corsair has 7). They're both around the same price, but the OCZ one has 150 more wattage and cost $10 more than the corsair PSU. So which one would you guys choose and why? (Regardless of the warranty) Thanks in advance.

More about : deciding ocz corsair

a c 111 ) Power supply
January 30, 2012 6:18:57 AM

Corsair. Stay away from ocz units, corsair units have much better quality
m
0
l
a c 87 ) Power supply
January 30, 2012 8:56:38 AM

The OEM of the ZX series is a company called Great Wall. They have not established a reputation when it comes to build quality. But the OCZ does perform very well, so I don't think the OCZ is a bad choice, just not one that I would make. The main cables on the OCZ are only 55cm long, which is not ideal in a build that needs that kind of wattage.
So I think I would choose the Corsair AX over the ZX.

However this is another option:
NZXT Hale90 850W 80Plus Gold Modular $180 (15% promo code ends today)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What is your system? Or what is it going to be?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 30, 2012 10:01:50 AM

Question: OCZ or Corsair?
Answer: Corsair
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2012 10:11:06 AM

The AX 850 is made by Seasonic... Seasonic is an excellent manufacturer of PSU's. Go with the Corsair.

Here is a review of the AX 850:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Here is a review of the OCZ 1000:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

In general the Great Wall reviews have been getting better, however the general track record of Seasonic is better. I don't think either one would be a bad choice.
m
0
l
a c 1173 ) Power supply
January 30, 2012 8:42:30 PM

I would go with the OCZ ZX Series 1000W (OCZ-ZX1000W) for its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 83 Amps because it has the ability to handle more power hungry graphics cards. It will even handle 3-way SLI or Crossfire since it has six (6+2)-pin PCIe connectors.
m
0
l
January 31, 2012 5:01:33 AM

Let's say I decide to crossfire like two 7970's (possibly 4 way crossfire or 4 way sli if I choose to go with NVIDIA) along with 3 or 6 monitors for eyefinity, an overclocked i7 6-core cpu, 16gb of ram, have like 4 3.5" HDDs and 2 2.5" SSDs. Will the AX850 psu be sufficient for all those things or will I need a stronger psu? The question I'm really asking is, up to which point will I need more than 850w of power?
m
0
l
a c 1173 ) Power supply
January 31, 2012 4:26:29 PM

ibangcolors said:
Let's say I decide to crossfire like two 7970's (possibly 4 way crossfire or 4 way sli if I choose to go with NVIDIA) along with 3 or 6 monitors for eyefinity, an overclocked i7 6-core cpu, 16gb of ram, have like 4 3.5" HDDs and 2 2.5" SSDs. Will the AX850 psu be sufficient for all those things or will I need a stronger psu? The question I'm really asking is, up to which point will I need more than 850w of power?

An AX850 doesn't even come close to having enough capacity to handle four Radeon HD 7970 in 4-way CrossFireX mode. Even the AX1200 isn't enough but it will handle three Radeon HD 7970 in 3-way CrossFireX mode.

The AX850 has the +12 Volt continuous current rating and four PCI Express supplementary power connectors to only handle up to two Radeon HD 7970 in 2-way CrossFireX mode.
m
0
l
January 31, 2012 5:02:34 PM

ibangcolors said:
So I'm upgrading my computer and I was thinking maybe upgrading my PSU too so I won't have to later on since I'm thinking about running crossfire/sli in the future and maybe adding a few hard drives in.

I've come down to these two choices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm having a hard time making up my mind between these two PSUs. These two PSUs are both fully modular, they're both 80 plus gold, and both have at least 5 year warranty (even though corsair has 7). They're both around the same price, but the OCZ one has 150 more wattage and cost $10 more than the corsair PSU. So which one would you guys choose and why? (Regardless of the warranty) Thanks in advance.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... -- Cool, Gold as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... -- 1200 W, Gold for about same price and more W -- 200W more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... -- 1100 W, Gold
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2012 5:06:55 PM

You don't want anything from Coolmax, or ABS.
m
0
l
January 31, 2012 7:12:58 PM

ko888 said:
An AX850 doesn't even come close to having enough capacity to handle four Radeon HD 7970 in 4-way CrossFireX mode. Even the AX1200 isn't enough but it will handle three Radeon HD 7970 in 3-way CrossFireX mode.

The AX850 has the +12 Volt continuous current rating and four PCI Express supplementary power connectors to only handle up to two Radeon HD 7970 in 2-way CrossFireX mode.


will the AX850 be able to handle 2 7970s in crossfire along with the other things that I mentioned?
m
0
l
a c 1173 ) Power supply
January 31, 2012 11:44:17 PM

ibangcolors said:
will the AX850 be able to handle 2 7970s in crossfire along with the other things that I mentioned?

Yes it will handle all of the components you've listed and the overclocking of the CPU.

The Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) uses incredibly overspec'ed components. You can draw over 1,000 Watts (1,045 Watts) from that power supply before it'll shut down.
m
0
l
!