Top/Front Panel USB 3.0

blueleo65

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hello,

I recently put together a new system using the Lian Li PC-9F case that features USB 3.0 inputs on the Top Panel. My motherboard is an Intel branded DH67CL that has 4 USB 2.0 internal headers. There are 2 USB 3.0 inputs on the back of the board. The case comes with a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 adapter for uses such as my situation.

The Problem is Windows 7 doesn't recognize the USB and I keep getting "USB unkown device" error message when I insert a small USB drive. The error is also listed in the Device Manager under - USB Root Hub (2 ports) -->Generic USB Hub (8 ports) --> Unknown Device. Sometimes when I reinsert the USB flash drive, Windows attempts to install a driver but then it fails and it tells me that it's an unkown device and it doesn't know what drive it needs.

I am sure I'm not the only one that has faced this issue, but I can't seem to be able to find a similar problem on the net or on any forums, including Intel's. (Lian Li does not have a forum that I am aware of). I do not wish to run a cable from the front ports to the 2 back USB 3.0 inputs. I do need them for external HDD.

If anyone have any ideas on how I might resolve this issue, I would apreciate it. Thank you.

Mike

Did you install this driver?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19880&ProdId=3284&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Drivers

that is for Windows 7 32 and 64bit OSes

that came from this link to Intel driver support for your model
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+6+Series+Chipset+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Desktop+Board+DH67CL

It would seem to me that if it listing a generic USB driver than you need the specific one for the mobo

describe you windows installation process?
did you do it or someone else?

blueleo65

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hello King smp,

Thank you for your reply.

I have downloaded the above drivers previously and I have installed them. As an additional measure, I downloaded them again from the links you provided and I have reinstalled them. Unfortunatly that did no correct the problem.

As far as the installation process, I connected all the hardware together. I booted my computer from the blu-ray drive. I followed the instructions on the screen that windows provide, I created a partition and then I let windows install itself. I then rebooted and I downloaded and isntalled every driver/software on Intel's website under my motherboard DH67CL. I believe, and I can be wrong, that the USB 3.0 drivers on the intel website are for the rear inputs that are integrated.

here is what my device manager says as far as USB devices : (the number with the x is the number of times the item is listed)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Universal Serial Bus Controllers

2x Generic USB Hub

1x Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Constroller - 1C2D

1x Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Constroller - 1C26

1x Renesas Electornics USB 3.0 Host Controller

1x Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub

1x Unkown Device

2x USB Composite Device

3x USB Mass Storage Device

2x USB Root Hub

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you.

Mike

Are you sure it is not a bad USB drive?
Have you tried that drive in another tower?

also is it an external usb HD?
some of those are known to draw alot of current and your USB can be overloaded
I had a Western Digital Passport USB drive that would draw over 500ma
(they even sold an accesory power plug to power it if needed)
and it gave me problems with some towers

maybe try using the drive in a rear port if possible

also visually inspect the pins in your usb ports
sometimes they can get bent and short each other

blueleo65

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Sorry King,

I've tried all your suggestions without any success. The device is an HP 4GB thumb drive. When plugged in the rear, it works fine. I have tried 2 other devices and nothing. Windows tries to install drivers, I get a failed error and suggests I check the internet for possible solutions.

I'm not sure how others have delt with this problem. Surley I'm not the only one that has experienced this error.

luketeyssier

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Hello, i have a problem..can you please help me..how to connect usb 3.0 and 2.0 from nzxt full tower chassis to gigabyte z77-d3h?.. because yesterday when i plug my flashdrive to front header usb 3.0 it works.but when i try to plug my usb awhile ago it says " USB DEVICE CANT RECOGNIZE WINDOWS" how can i fix iT?thanks.. im a newbie for this kind of trouble..hehe..