Sign in with
Your question

Software tips and overall system advice

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2011 6:38:28 PM

Okay, I own an HP a6203w desktop with windows 7 Enterprise N on it. Nothing special, stock everything except for I now have 4 gigs of ram. As it sits I have about 280 gigs of free space, and wanted to know, since I have a fresh system, what all should I invest in?

Best antivirus?
Best photo editing/art editing software?
Miscellaneous software like Ccleaner, Gamebooster, etc?
Built in Game consoles like Wildtangent games/Emachine games?
Codec libraries?
Movie/DVD players?
Music players and editors? (audacity, etc)
Themes/Visual effects?

I am new to this and it is a new system in the sense that the hard drive is bare with no software but the OS on it. I want to start fresh and do it right but I don't know where to start. I don't want to install bad/wrong software and I'm looking for the best I can get in each category. It doesn't have to be freeware either, I plan on buying what I need.

Secondly, I KNOW, this is NOT a gaming computer, and I do NOT want a long speech about how I can build my own better for cheaper, I get that. I am looking for a Power supply and a Video card, that I can run on this computer, that is low end/budget/cheap. But I don't know where to start, I am trying to make a list for christmas. I was thinking about an ATI 5570 or a 5550, something that is easy on wattage but ANYTHING will be an upgrade over my current nvidia 6150se integrated chip.

I'm sorry for the long wall of text and I understand this subject is varied so it doesn't really fit into one single category, so I pu it in Homebuilt because it is a progressional build.
October 29, 2011 7:21:43 PM

nfarnham2001 said:
Okay, I own an HP a6203w desktop with windows 7 Enterprise N on it. Nothing special, stock everything except for I now have 4 gigs of ram. As it sits I have about 280 gigs of free space, and wanted to know, since I have a fresh system, what all should I invest in?

Best antivirus?
Best photo editing/art editing software?
Miscellaneous software like Ccleaner, Gamebooster, etc?
Built in Game consoles like Wildtangent games/Emachine games?
Codec libraries?
Movie/DVD players?
Themes/Visual effects?

I am new to this and it is a new system in the sense that the hard drive is bare with no software but the OS on it. I want to start fresh and do it right but I don't know where to start. I don't want to install bad/wrong software and I'm looking for the best I can get in each category. It doesn't have to be freeware either, I plan on buying what I need.

Secondly, I KNOW, this is NOT a gaming computer, and I do NOT want a long speech about how I can build my own better for cheaper, I get that. I am looking for a Power supply and a Video card, that I can run on this computer, that is low end/budget/cheap. But I don't know where to start, I am trying to make a list for christmas. I was thinking about an ATI 5570 or a 5550, something that is easy on wattage but ANYTHING will be an upgrade over my current nvidia 6150se integrated chip.

I'm sorry for the long wall of text and I understand this subject is varied so it doesn't really fit into one single category, so I pu it in Homebuilt because it is a progressional build.

Well i guess this is something you should ask yourself but i'll tell you the software i use.

Best antivirus= i don't know if its the best but i never got a virus on this and it uses practically no resoruces. Microsoft security essentials.
Best photo editing/art editing software= I use Paint.net
Miscellaneous software= I'd say get CClenaer and Auslogics Disk Defrag
Built in Game consoles like Wildtangent games/Emachine games? = Depends on what you like and really we need to know the specs of the CPU. I play older games and i use (Dolphin for gamecube games,Jnes for nes games, Snes for Snes games, Project 64 for Nintendo 64 games)(if you want to know where i get the roms PM me)
Codec Libraries= Just use VLC player and be done with it works very well and it supports GPU acceleration
Movie/DVD players?= Well like i said i use VLC player for Movie files and windows media player For music/DVD's
Themes/Visual effects? Sadly i can't help on these as i don't use that type of software but i do use software to encode DVD's(if you want to know what PM me)

When it comes to a video card get a 5670 they work fine on even a 300watt power supply and they only cost 69.99$ on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for a new PSU get a Antec 380 earthwatts its nice and efficient and real cheap i got 3 of them for people so far!

Those upgrades cost less then 125$ and it will be a nice upgrade indeed. I started out upgrading my PC then i built mine. It's all good i know how stuff turns out.
m
l
October 29, 2011 7:28:35 PM

Thanks for the advice, the game consolse would be for my aunt. She loves playing the Raven hurts mystery theme games. Find objects, solve puzzles etc. I would LOVE the emulators. PS1, Gamecube, N64, etc. Where do you go for the roms and emulators?

The 5670 would be great, BUT one problem on both of those, my family WILL NOT buy online. WHY?! I have NO clue. But they don't trust online sales, sigh. Could the 5670 and the Antec 380 be found at those stores for a decent price? If not no worries. The vid card/PSU is a secondary concern, the software is my main concern.

What do you mean encode DVD's?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2011 7:29:13 PM

You have a 250w power supply so in going to a seperate video card you will have to change that to 500w is what I would recomend. You may get away with smaller but sometimes it's better to have more than to find out you don't have enough. It would also make shopping for a video card a lot easier when toy don't have to worry about the power supply. Since you are not gaming the selection of cards will be easier.

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $64.99 and right now comes with a $15 rebate.

ASUS ENGT440/DI/1GD5 GeForce GT 440 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $99.99 and right now has a $20 rebate with it.

Western Digital Elements SE 500GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive WDBABV5000ABK-NESN $99.99

I know you said "low end/budget/cheap" but you also did not give a budget amount to work with. If you don't want to clutter up your hdd and I don't blame you , then have you considered a second hdd. This one is external and usb , very easy to install , I have the 1tb model one pluged into my router for everyone on my network to access. You could also put another hdd internal if you want , 320gb is not a lot for your only hdd. In my world anything under $100 is low budget so that is why it is good to post a budget amount.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2011 7:32:14 PM

What stores are nearby for software and computer parts ? Is there a Best Buy , WalMart or something ?
m
l
October 29, 2011 7:38:48 PM

There are both, and my budget, well like I said, it isn't MY budget, it is going on my xmas list, but I would keep it sub 200.
m
l
October 29, 2011 8:05:29 PM

inzone said:
What stores are nearby for software and computer parts ? Is there a Best Buy , WalMart or something ?

Newegg all the way
m
l
October 29, 2011 8:10:44 PM

Okay, hardware aside, any more comments on the software bit of this?
m
l
October 29, 2011 8:24:20 PM

nfarnham2001 said:
Thanks for the advice, the game consolse would be for my aunt. She loves playing the Raven hurts mystery theme games. Find objects, solve puzzles etc. I would LOVE the emulators. PS1, Gamecube, N64, etc. Where do you go for the roms and emulators?

The 5670 would be great, BUT one problem on both of those, my family WILL NOT buy online. WHY?! I have NO clue. But they don't trust online sales, sigh. Could the 5670 and the Antec 380 be found at those stores for a decent price? If not no worries. The vid card/PSU is a secondary concern, the software is my main concern.

What do you mean encode DVD's?

Where not allowed to say on here but just PM me on private and i'll show you
m
l
October 29, 2011 8:25:44 PM

inzone said:
You have a 250w power supply so in going to a seperate video card you will have to change that to 500w is what I would recomend. You may get away with smaller but sometimes it's better to have more than to find out you don't have enough. It would also make shopping for a video card a lot easier when toy don't have to worry about the power supply. Since you are not gaming the selection of cards will be easier.

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $64.99 and right now comes with a $15 rebate.

ASUS ENGT440/DI/1GD5 GeForce GT 440 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $99.99 and right now has a $20 rebate with it.

Western Digital Elements SE 500GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive WDBABV5000ABK-NESN $99.99

I know you said "low end/budget/cheap" but you also did not give a budget amount to work with. If you don't want to clutter up your hdd and I don't blame you , then have you considered a second hdd. This one is external and usb , very easy to install , I have the 1tb model one pluged into my router for everyone on my network to access. You could also put another hdd internal if you want , 320gb is not a lot for your only hdd. In my world anything under $100 is low budget so that is why it is good to post a budget amount.

Do not get that video card WARNING its slower then a 5670 and it cost more and it uses more power get a 6750 instead

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GT_440/...
m
l
October 29, 2011 8:26:48 PM

nfarnham2001 said:
Okay, hardware aside, any more comments on the software bit of this?

I said everything i could on it but if you want to talk about encoding or roms PM me.
m
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2011 8:27:22 PM

jdwii : Newegg all the way

Except he already said he can't buy anything online...

GJ.

Avira Anti Virus is good. Microsoft Security Essentials is OK too and doesn't get in the way too often.

Extra software in order to speed things up - This is an oxymoron

Built in game consoles - I wouldn't use these. If you really want to emulate things you can get something like FakeNES off of SourceForge. You will have to acquire games the way people acquire music these days, though.
m
l
October 29, 2011 11:55:57 PM

@Raiddinn

Personally I love newegg, I haven't bought anything there yet, but it seems 100% trustworthy. Good luck getting my family to see that. Moving on. I use microsoft security essentials now I was just wondering about other stuff, adaware, malware bytes, etc. Any of that necessary to catch stuff MSE misses?

The consoles are strictly for my aunt, strictly for the trial one time games like those from wild tangent, mainly the mystery/puzzle/hidden object games.

I want to emulate 64, ps1, and any other consolse that can be emulated, besides SNES.
m
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
October 30, 2011 12:56:41 AM

Tell your family that I *only* buy things online because online is more secure than RL.

The easiest way to steal someone's identity is with low tech methods, IE seeing somebody sending a check in the mail and taking it (they even tell you when to look!). Much easier than hacking a https website.

They aren't convinced? Tell them to try to steal someone's outgoing check and tell them to hack an HTTPS website and tell you which one is harder.

Don't use Adaware, malware bytes, spybot S&D, or any of that stuff unless you experience problems that MSE doesn't fix. 99% likely you won't need them. Just surf responsibly (don't download warez or anything else from companies you never heard of).

It isn't illegal to download emulators from sourceforge, but pirating abandonware games is illegal so I can't advise you on how to do that.
m
l
!