Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sony DSC-W5?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 11:07:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Why do I never see this camera mentioned when talking about the best compact
P&S camera's? Is the Cannon A-95 really that much better. I like that it
only uses 2 AA batteries (included with charger) that are said to take up to
420 shots before charge. Large LCD, etc. On paper it looks killer. What
am I missing?

Thanks!

More about : sony dsc

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 11:07:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

You're not missing anything - it gets good reviews, and very positive
user feedback. Maybe a little brand snobbery - there are still folk
who think Sony don't make fine digital cameras - but mostly because as
a 5Mp 3x camera, it is in a highly competitive area, and there are lots
of good cameras around now with similar specifications..

Go with whichever feels better in your hands..
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:00:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

chrlz@go.com wrote:
> You're not missing anything - it gets good reviews, and very positive
> user feedback. Maybe a little brand snobbery - there are still folk
> who think Sony don't make fine digital cameras - but mostly because as
> a 5Mp 3x camera, it is in a highly competitive area, and there are
> lots of good cameras around now with similar specifications..

Personally, I would not buy a camera which used Memory Stick unless I
already had a bunch of such cards. I prefer CF or SD cards.

David
Related resources
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:47:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Purple-fringing is a common problem with digicams, especially on
silhouetted things like tree branches against sky. Have you spent some
time at dpreview.com and imaging-resource.com? There is another thread
here or on a related group about the SD400 having bad shutter lag, but
the importance of that would depend on your subject matter.

I don't have such a big issue with the memory sticks - they are fast
and comparable in price to other media. I thought they were upwardly
compatible - or have Sony now dropped them from their newer range? And
why wouldn't you just sell your memory sticks with the camera? That's
what I did when I moved from my old F717 to an Oly 8080, which uses CF..
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:07:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <KGK8e.14617$G8.10813@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

> chrlz@go.com wrote:
> > You're not missing anything - it gets good reviews, and very positive
> > user feedback. Maybe a little brand snobbery - there are still folk
> > who think Sony don't make fine digital cameras - but mostly because as
> > a 5Mp 3x camera, it is in a highly competitive area, and there are
> > lots of good cameras around now with similar specifications..
>
> Personally, I would not buy a camera which used Memory Stick unless I
> already had a bunch of such cards. I prefer CF or SD cards.
>
I have a bunch of memory sticks (2x128mb, 2x64mb, a 32 and an 8) here at
home which won't fit the current generation of Sony digitals.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:07:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Stewy" <anyone4tennis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:anyone4tennis-D61E69.11071219042005@newssv.kcn.ne.jp...
> In article <KGK8e.14617$G8.10813@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
>
>> chrlz@go.com wrote:
>> > You're not missing anything - it gets good reviews, and very positive
>> > user feedback. Maybe a little brand snobbery - there are still folk
>> > who think Sony don't make fine digital cameras - but mostly because as
>> > a 5Mp 3x camera, it is in a highly competitive area, and there are
>> > lots of good cameras around now with similar specifications..
>>
>> Personally, I would not buy a camera which used Memory Stick unless I
>> already had a bunch of such cards. I prefer CF or SD cards.
>>
> I have a bunch of memory sticks (2x128mb, 2x64mb, a 32 and an 8) here at
> home which won't fit the current generation of Sony digitals.

Not cool, but good to know info, thanks. I'm looking pretty hard at the
Canon SD-400 (but might be just a bit small for my hands) or the A95. Just
a little concerned with a couple of the reviews I read that said that had a
blue/purple looking shadows around the objects in some pictures. Forget
what they called it, but it didn't look good.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:19:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

No, there doesn't seem to be any full reviews around yet.. All I can
add is that the newer Sony's do seem to have very good AF (ie low
shutter lag times), which is one of the areas where this type of camera
often falls down badly. My one reservation might be that it offers
limited manual control, eg no aperture or shutter priority, but it
depends on your shooting style and needs..
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:12:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

<chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
news:1113893250.085667.207030@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Purple-fringing is a common problem with digicams, especially on
> silhouetted things like tree branches against sky. Have you spent some
> time at dpreview.com and imaging-resource.com? There is another thread
> here or on a related group about the SD400 having bad shutter lag, but
> the importance of that would depend on your subject matter.
>
> I don't have such a big issue with the memory sticks - they are fast
> and comparable in price to other media. I thought they were upwardly
> compatible - or have Sony now dropped them from their newer range? And
> why wouldn't you just sell your memory sticks with the camera? That's
> what I did when I moved from my old F717 to an Oly 8080, which uses CF..

This is kind of what I was thinking, and yes, I did read those reviews which
is one of the reasons I started looking that the new Sony's. However, I've
not been able to find a good review of this camera, but I have heard that
some companied of only average picture quality. This is the only bad thing
I've read about the Sony and allot of people say it's really fast, which is
a big plus as well, not to mention it's cheaper than the Canon's with
similar features.
!