Sign in with
Your question

Frame rate keeps dropping 5770 crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2011 2:34:28 AM

When playing deus ex human revolution i keep getting a lot of frame drops. I don't understand it though as the framerate stays above 56fps and avg frame rate is around 74fps. Every few mins though it drops to around 58fps and gets real jerky for like 2 secs and then shoots back up to around 70fps and it's kind of making me feel sick. I never noticed this with other game and i'd think that the two 5770's should be able to handle it right? Is it the game or my cards causing this?

My setup

2500k @ 3.2ghz
5770 x 2
win7 64bit
a c 169 U Graphics card
September 1, 2011 6:58:40 AM

Turn on V-sync and check if you get FPS drops or not.
Also is your 100% OC stable ?
a c 169 U Graphics card
September 1, 2011 11:01:49 AM

its more likely something loading from the hard drive or background processes interfering with the game. That is the only thing that would cause the severe jerkiness you are experiencing. how much ram do you have? also, what speed do your pcie slots run at? if one of them is a 4x slot, then that is likely your issue, crossfire doesnt like uneven slot speeds. it really needs to be 16x/16x or 8x/8x slots. not 16x/4x. Also, new games often have issues with crossfire support until the first patch. And make sure you have updated the AMD crossfire application profiles.
Related resources
September 1, 2011 11:22:10 AM

Well it's not a oc, it's a underclock so that my setup doesn't blow the power in my house and yes it still does it with vsync.

@iam2thecrowe

I have 8gbs of ram @ 1600 and my pcie slots are 16/16

The game seems to run better with crossfire turned off, you think that maybe my cpu being underclocked is bottlenecking the two cards? I seem to get the same amount of fps with one card enabled only.
September 1, 2011 2:10:51 PM

Is this normal usage for crossfire? That's while playing crysis 2 on extreme with dx11

I would have done a deus ex usage test, but while turning crossfire off in ccc i got a blue screen and now my game saves for deus ex aren't working and i kind of give up on that game.

a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2011 2:21:19 PM

can we sum this up to microstutter? especially the nature of low end crossfire systems, run a benchmark and tell me if you minimums are worse with 2 cards then it is with one, crossfire is crap especially on the low/mid end
September 1, 2011 2:38:31 PM

Why does it do it more in deus ex then? Isn't crysis 2 the more powerhouse game? Wouldn't that take a lot more power to run it?
September 1, 2011 4:40:35 PM

that's the usage for deus ex.. its not even using 30% of each gpu...
a c 169 U Graphics card
September 1, 2011 9:43:32 PM

jjb8675309 said:
can we sum this up to microstutter? especially the nature of low end crossfire systems, run a benchmark and tell me if you minimums are worse with 2 cards then it is with one, crossfire is crap especially on the low/mid end

it doesnt sound like microstutter, microstutter is "MICRO" meaning you barely notice it and happens within a millisecond and happens constantly. He is experiencing playability followed by a crash in FPS for a couple seconds.

Do other games have the same issue? i would suggest downloading driversweeper and running it, following all the instructions to remove every trace of your display driver, then only re-installing the latest AMD driver. Also if you got a blue screen and now your save games arent working, this sounds like you might have corruption of the game and/or hard drive. Run memtest 86+ and run the hard drive manufacturers hard drive diagnostic tool. If that comes back all clear, reinstall the game.
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2011 11:13:30 PM

^ well for me it was always very apparent, the term microstutter is misleading but when you have it, it is unbearable imo,
a c 169 U Graphics card
September 2, 2011 2:25:15 AM

zookeeper525 said:
http://i56.tinypic.com/rrmvzl.jpg

that's the usage for deus ex.. its not even using 30% of each gpu...

sounds like the game is not optimised for crossfire yet as i had said before. they will probably release a patch for the game and an Amd hotfix and application priofile.
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2011 4:23:56 AM

that is crap, the waiting game is garbage
a c 169 U Graphics card
September 2, 2011 12:44:04 PM

well thats what you get with crossfire/sli, its happened with almost every game released that i can think of, when games are first released crossfire support is poor or non existant.
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2011 12:58:13 PM

yeah, not my bag
!