Sign in with
Your question

MMO Gaming rig..1st build

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2011 7:16:14 PM

Hey all. Avid MMO gamer, and looking to build my first rig...one that will maintain high performance at maximum settings and 3D/HDMI. Some gear I already have (via industry contacts), and the rest is based on the research I’ve done so far based on my needs…much thanks to this awesome site!

I "plan" on doing some overclocking, though I'll need t learn from scratch, and not really sure if I'll actually take the time, depending on how complex it really is, or if it'd really help perormance enought o be worth it.

Also, looking to do caching on the DDS and SATA drives...just based on the performance increase I've been reading about.

Also, need to stay wit mid-tower, and want it as queit as possible.

Looking for any input on the below config…what might be overkill, where i should beef up, etc. Thanks in advance!!

CM Storm Enforcer mid-tower case ($80)
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro motherboard ($210)
Intel i7-2600K ($295)
Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler CLP0564 ($50)
16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM (Own)
ASUS GeForce GTX 570 DC II ($349)
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 PSU ($99)
Kingston 96GB SSDNow (Own)
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ($75)
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer ($25)
Windows 7 Home (own)
Logitech G110 gaming keyboard (own)
Logitech G700 wireless gaming mouse (own)
Planar PX2710MW 27" Wide display (own)
Logitech Wireless headset G330 (own)

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2011 9:32:41 PM

I think your build is over kill but its definitely going to give you the best chance of never having a slowdown .

You can save $100 by using the 2500k instead . There is no advantage in gaming when you use the huyperthreading 2600k.

Actually theres no advantage in gaming when you over clock either. High image quality FPS games are always limited by the graphics card , and lower deatail and resolution games always limited by the monitors refresh rate .

16 gig of RAM is again overkill . Even 2 x4 gig is overkill since the difference between 2 x2 and 2 x4 is so small you would never notice .

The first step to building a quiet computer is to use a quiet case with sound dampening . The Antec P 183 or P 183 V3 are very highly regrded for cooling an low noise
!