Sign in with
Your question

Breadboarded build will not post - speaker problems?

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2011 7:26:54 PM

Right now I have a breadboarded setup that doesn't post and I am not getting speaker feedback from.

msi 970a-g45 motherboard
AMD FX-6100 cpu with Zalman CPNS 9900 cooler

I had it fully assembled and it didn't post, so I reduced it to this setup to use the speaker to see if I could find a problem. When I turn it on the fan lights and spins up then runs at full speed. The board lights up to show the cpu is in 1 phase power mode. However, the speaker never makes a sound. I'm sure that the cpu and motherboard power connectors are securely attached, and that the speaker is connected in the proper orientation.

Is there an easy way to test if a speaker works? What does it mean if the speaker works but the board isn't outputting any codes?

Thanks in advance for the help.
a c 76 à CPUs
October 29, 2011 9:34:31 PM

what is the board sitting on? It must be completely non-conductive .

also try removing all the hardware and adding one item at a time .

Read the troubleshooting thread at the top of the forum
m
l
October 29, 2011 9:49:01 PM

It's sitting on cardboard.

I have gone through the thread and am at the point where I should be adding components one at a time and using the beeps to figure out if there is a problem with components, but my motherboard speaker is not working.
m
l
Related resources
a c 76 à CPUs
October 29, 2011 10:09:52 PM

then you need to get a new speaker
m
l
November 17, 2011 3:01:38 AM

wieschie said:
Right now I have a breadboarded setup that doesn't post and I am not getting speaker feedback from.

msi 970a-g45 motherboard
AMD FX-6100 cpu with Zalman CPNS 9900 cooler

I had it fully assembled and it didn't post, so I reduced it to this setup to use the speaker to see if I could find a problem. When I turn it on the fan lights and spins up then runs at full speed. The board lights up to show the cpu is in 1 phase power mode. However, the speaker never makes a sound. I'm sure that the cpu and motherboard power connectors are securely attached, and that the speaker is connected in the proper orientation.

Is there an easy way to test if a speaker works? What does it mean if the speaker works but the board isn't outputting any codes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm hitting this same issue first I submitted a RMA for the board. Hit the same issue after getting the new boards. It posts with my Phenom II x6 1100T 3.30 GHz. So I RMA the processor and hit the same issue again. Phase 1 power only, id say it wasn't compatible but they sell the mobo proc combo in kits left and right....
m
l
November 17, 2011 10:57:59 AM

krunkpirate said:
I'm hitting this same issue first I submitted a RMA for the board. Hit the same issue after getting the new boards. It posts with my Phenom II x6 1100T 3.30 GHz. So I RMA the processor and hit the same issue again. Phase 1 power only, id say it wasn't compatible but they sell the mobo proc combo in kits left and right....

I did eventually figure out the problem. It's likely that the board doesn't have the most recent bios, and you need to flash the BIOS to 1.2 to get AM3+ support (for you that should be easy because you have already gotten it to post with a different cpu).
m
l
November 17, 2011 9:30:58 PM

That was it :)  as soon as I installed windows I ran a live update flashed the bios on both and successfully posted with the fx-6100. Newegg shipped me motherboards with 1.0 on it when it needs 1.2.
m
l
!