Sign in with
Your question
Closed

A8-3870K vs PII X6 1045T vs i3 2100 vs FX 4100 Black Ed.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2012 9:58:48 AM

Hey everyone. Now, i know this kind of question probably gets asked all the time around here, but i've spent countless hours searching for opinions and info on these 4 CPUs and nothing has convinced me to pick any one of these. I've seen lots of conflicting and somewhat dodgy looking benchmarks / reviews so i was hoping someone would be able to post some benchmarks and some reasoning as to which CPU is my best bet.

Seeing as the place i'm buying from has a sale on, i worked out i can pretty much get each CPU + its mobo for the same cost, so cost isn't an issue. I don't plan to upgrade at any time so being a dead socket doesn't matter to me.

I plan to use a GTX 560 GPU, and I'm mostly going to be using the rig to play games, but i guess general OS / browser performance is a big plus too. I also plan to Transcode some Audio and Video, but as i do that rarely that'd be a very much minor issue. While i do plan to overclock, it would only be a very very mild one considering i'm sticking with whatever the stock cooler is and I'm not comfortable with high temps.

Thanks in advance for any replies, and thanks for reading through my massive spiel.... Hopefully a few other people will benefit from this as well.

More about : 3870k pii 1045t 2100 4100 black

a b à CPUs
January 30, 2012 11:21:07 AM

if you want to intend it for best gaming pc then i recommend you 2500k no word for this cpu to explain it gives you much more power than your listed cpu's overclocking is outstanding and stable.
Or if those are your option then grab a8-3870k.
Score
January 30, 2012 12:04:01 PM

Well yeah, that of course would be better but i am on a budget, and those are the only CPU's around that price range that my store offers.. I was kinda hoping for some convincing benchmarks, considering the entire internet seems to be full of conflicting opinions :( 
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 30, 2012 1:58:47 PM

Grazz989 said:
Well yeah, that of course would be better but i am on a budget, and those are the only CPU's around that price range that my store offers.. I was kinda hoping for some convincing benchmarks, considering the entire internet seems to be full of conflicting opinions :( 

Convincing benchmarks? Well, since you asked here we go:Picking A Sub-$200 Gaming CPU: FX, An APU, Or A Pentium?, as per this benchmark, even a heavily overclocked FX-4100 can't truly beat a i3-2100 in the gaming area (basically they can match the performance), by the way, none of these AMD cpus can, even overclocked.

Here's the article conclusion: AMD Or Intel: Which Offers Better Gaming Performance? , basically the intel grabbed all the recommendations per price segment with the sandy-bridge.

Some useful quotes:

- "..showed that the Core i3-2100 can match AMD's Phenom II X4 955, even while background tasks run in parallel with a game"
- "AMD’s Phenom II X4 955 and FX-4100 could certainly appeal to buyers...however, they’re too close to the Hyper-Threaded Core i3-2100 to earn a distinguished recommendation"
- "For $190, a stock Core i5-2400 gets you more gaming prowess than any AMD CPU can hope to deliver right now, even overclocked"

So.. let's go for a i3-2100 don't? You don't even need to buy an aftermarket cooler
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2012 1:59:01 PM

xtreme5 said:
if you want to intend it for best gaming pc then i recommend you 2500k no word for this cpu to explain it gives you much more power than your listed cpu's overclocking is outstanding and stable.
Or if those are your option then grab a8-3870k.

There's no 2500K in the listed choices...... :hello: 
Score
a c 103 à CPUs
January 30, 2012 2:13:49 PM

For gaming the i3 2100
Score
January 30, 2012 3:19:02 PM

vitornob said:
Convincing benchmarks? Well, since you asked here we go:Picking A Sub-$200 Gaming CPU: FX, An APU, Or A Pentium?, as per this benchmark, even a heavily overclocked FX-4100 can't truly beat a i3-2100 in the gaming area (basically they can match the performance), by the way, none of these AMD cpus can, even overclocked.

Hmm. That article does seem pretty well put together. Am i right in thinking the 1090T is a higher clocked / binned version of the X6 1045T? Or is it a different model altogether?

However, since the i3 is a duel core chip and the X6 1045T is a Hexacore, will the 1045T have an advantage with general OS smoothness while multitasking? (Browser, maybe watching a hi def video, maybe a scan in the background you know, assorted background processes) And, will it have a very significant advantage with multithreaded stuff like transcoding?

I guess i just find it hard to believe that a Hexcore gets outperformed by a duel core. It pretty much flies in the face of everything i've seen in my computing experience.
Score
January 30, 2012 4:46:13 PM

See below for my take (others can add or correct based on their knowledge):

Quote:
Am i right in thinking the 1090T is a higher clocked / binned version of the X6 1045T? Or is it a different model altogether?

Yes (higher clocked version). I have used both.

Quote:
However, since the i3 is a duel core chip and the X6 1045T is a Hexacore, will the 1045T have an advantage with general OS smoothness while multitasking? (Browser, maybe watching a hi def video, maybe a scan in the background you know, assorted background processes)

Based on my experience, no. I have an i3-2100 running in my desktop and it is very smooth. To give you some perspective I also have a Celeron G530 as an HTPC and it can stream HD netflix while running a background anti-virus scan with no problems.

Quote:
And, will it have a very significant advantage with multithreaded stuff like transcoding?

Yes, but not as significant as you think. Sandy bridge cores are 25% quicker on average in applications (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/processor-architect...) so yes you will transcode faster with the six core chip but it will not be 3x.

Also, the intel platform will consume less power than the AMD hexa-core (about 50% less CPU/MOBO power based on my measurements).

Since you are only doing limited transcoding I would go for the i3 without hesitation.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2012 5:48:17 PM

the i3 looks to be your best option.
Score
January 30, 2012 7:04:32 PM

Okay well. That was quite a bit more clear cut than i thought it would be considering the hours of staring at a dozen different benchmarks.

Thanks to everyone who contributed! I guess I'm off to order a i3 then ;) 
Score
January 30, 2012 7:05:01 PM

Best answer selected by Grazz989.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2012 7:05:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!