Budget Build Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok, so I want to build a budget PC (well, already started one anyway...). The uses for it are going to be Photoshop (for work) and the occasional Counter-Strike: Source game with a friend. Here is what I have bought so far:

Case: Antec 300 ATX (I'll leave the flashy looking ones to the StarCraft guys)
GPU: XFX Radeon HD5670 1GB GDDR5 (for what I need it fits, I'm not maxing out BF3 anytime soon...)
PSU: OCz 700W StealthXStream (I hate noise and maybe will need future expansion...)

What I Need Help Choosing:
-Motherboaard
-Processor
-RAM
-HDD

Budget: ~$300 + tax

I have come up with the following ideas:
CPU: Phenom II X4 965-970BE
MB: ASRock 890GX Pro3 Socket AM3+ 890GX ATX AMD or Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Socket AM3 880G ATX AMD Motherboard
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport Series 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL10 Dual Channel (2x4GB) or Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 (2x4GB)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 6GB/s 7200RPM

Total: ~$320 +tax

Solution
If I was you I would watch newegg's shell shocker deals. They sell i3-2100 combos and phenom II black edition combos very often, both of which are in the range of your budget.

If its not too late also you might want to consider the 6670 over the 5670. It's based off of newer technology and is very much in the same price range.

Overall your selections seem pretty good. You could save money with DDR3 1333 RAM and not notice any difference. RAM is often on sale as well, just get a decent brand with good reviews.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
If I was you I would watch newegg's shell shocker deals. They sell i3-2100 combos and phenom II black edition combos very often, both of which are in the range of your budget.

If its not too late also you might want to consider the 6670 over the 5670. It's based off of newer technology and is very much in the same price range.

Overall your selections seem pretty good. You could save money with DDR3 1333 RAM and not notice any difference. RAM is often on sale as well, just get a decent brand with good reviews.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.