Is it safe to replace a cpu inside the case?

fearitzfizz

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I bought a new cpu but I'm not really good at building computers. So I don't really have the skill to take the motherboard out and install the cpu. I have enough space to be able to do the job but is it safe? Thanks!

Yes, as long as you have enough room to move around. Please PM me if you have any issues. but yea you should be fine, i do it when i changed out parts. put the motherboard and work inside the case. instead of putting every single component on the board then putting the motherboard in.

fearitzfizz

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Ok thanks. Also, should I lay the computer flat or keep it upright?

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
The one time I tried it I accidently pulled the socket up out of the motherboard trying to get the heatsink off. But hey, it gave me a chance to upgrade further. I always remove everything and take my time now.

morne

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Its fine to do it inside the PC, make sure its flat so you have wide view of everything and dont accidentily break something, but even with no experience in it you will be fine, also when its flat you can just let the cpu fall in (not literaly) without any hassle.

Good luck

I used a bit less then a pea sized drop for my 212+ evo, it gets to 20c min and 33c max

if you are having trouble getting the heatsink off of the cpu, dont force it, wiggle it a little bit then pull with not to much force if that doesnt work or you simple cant wiggle it power it on, run prime 95 for about 5 min and try again :)

fearitzfizz

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Ok and do I put the thermal paste on before or after I put the cpu in the socket. Sorry about alll the questions I'm not rich and don't wana mess up

Hi :)

I am sorry but thats ABSOLUTELY AND TOTALLY WRONG !

I own computer shops and a lappy repair company....

If any of my employees did what you said they would be sacked on the spot...

The purpose of Cpu cement is to fill ANY small imperfections in the cpu and on the heatsink....

You put a very small pea size lump in the middle and then SPREAD IT OUT EVENLY so it covers the WHOLE CPU AND HEATSINK in a very thin layer...we use something that looks like a credit card (plastic) to spread it...evenly...

I hope this helps....

All the best Brett :)

Uhm, then you have fired alot of people that know what they are doing... you do realise that the purpose of thermal paste is to get an even heat transfer between the cpu and the heatsink via filling in the micro crevices right? what you have done is created air bubbles

The accepted method I have described in my previous post fills in most if not all micro crevices and does not allow air bubbles as the air simply gets pushed out

I seriously think you are trolling, the best retort you could come up with to our air bubble inquiry is "lollllllll".

If I saw you spreading it that way you certainly would not get my business again.

Hi :)

I am not trolling...think about the amount of heat, do you really think an air bubble would survive ?

I have used cement on many different cpus going back to 286 cpus, they did NOT look like modern cpus...they had different areas and they all had one thing in common....that area ALL had to be covered...

Its a heat transfer cement...it can hardly transfer anything where it does not exist now can it (where its missing , as not SPREAD)

Regarding business, I deliberately do not use my Companies name in my signature here as I do not consider it to be correct to do so, This is TOMS HARDWARE, not my site...

All the best Brett :)

What I do is put some on the heatsink and some on the cpu, so both the cpu and heatsink both have paste on them.