Sign in with
Your question

Which GPU(s) will bottle-neck my CPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2011 6:25:26 AM

I'm running a "890GPA-UD3H" Mobo w/ Phenom II X4 C3 @ Default 3.0Ghz with 8GB of DDR3 GSkill Ram at 1600MHz, 750W Corsair PSU, 500GB HDD plus a 5770 on the side. No plans to overclock w/ the exception of bios flashing a 6950 to perform similar to a 6970 if my CPU can handle it. But I do plan to play games on a 24" 1080P Monitor - 1920 x 1200 resolutions.
This is intended as a Gaming PC, however my 5770 is starting to lose ground in terms of performance. Currently trying to figure out ALL of my GPU options, which is why I'm trying to find out what will bottle neck my CPU.

Additional info/specs on my Phenom II x4 945 C3 can be found via the link below.

EDIT: Why is no one answering my original question???? (As stated in the topic TITLE), I'm trying to find out my CPU's limits....

More about : gpu bottle neck cpu

September 1, 2011 6:30:41 AM

u haven't mentioned ur other specs and if u plan to overclock and the purpose of this system.
Anyway I 'd go with something like a 6850

Good Luck.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2011 6:55:42 AM

gametstr said:
u haven't mentioned ur other specs and if u plan to overclock and the purpose of this system.
Anyway I 'd go with something like a 6850

Good Luck.

I'm running a "890GPA-UD3H" Mobo w/ Phenom II X4 C3 @ Default 3.0Ghz with 8GB of DDR3 GSkill Ram at 1600MHz, 750W Corsair PSU, 500GB HDD plus a 5770 on the side.
This is intended as a Gaming PC, however my 5770 is starting to lose ground in terms of performance. Currently trying to figure out ALL of my GPU options, which is why I'm trying to find out what will bottle neck my CPU.

~Coffee

PS: I won't be buying until Christmas so there will be plenty of time, just trying to figure out my CPU's limits atm.
PSS: @dagasitim, please troll else-where or I will get a moderator in here to kick you out. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.
m
l
September 1, 2011 7:04:32 AM

Ok dude, coffee, firstly 5770 is a good card(i got one myself), while even i agree it will show its age soon, the 6850 isnt that big of an upgrade over it. TO see real improvement over your current graphic card, a 6950 is a minimum. So, either get that card, or else wait for a new series if your PSU cant handle a 6950. Either way, GL.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2011 7:11:24 AM

Why is no one answering my original question???? (As stated in the topic TITLE), I'm trying to find out my CPU's limits....

~Coffee
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2011 8:17:25 AM

Your GPU and CPU both need an upgrade IMO.
5770 is fine,but it can't max out games on 1080p or higher resolutions;on the other hand,upgrading to a faster CPU will definitely give you a good boost in performance.
Since 90% of the games are GPU-limited,I recommend upgrading your GPU first(to something like HD 6950/GTX 560Ti)
m
l
September 1, 2011 8:36:41 AM

I did tell you coffee, you should minimum upgrade to a 6950, but the max you can go is upto GTX 580 no problems. If you want amd card only, 6970 isnt bad either and almost as good as gtx 570.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2011 10:18:42 AM

Any GPU will be ok as the bottleneck shall not happen at (or under) 60 FPS which is what you're after. Yes, it will bottleneck at 150 or 120 or 200 FPS maybe... but your CPU can send 60 FPS for rendering to the GPU in ANY GAME. ( I have the same ;-) )

So... just buy the best GPU you can afford, crank the AA, AI etc. to MAX and enjoy the games ;-)
And if the FPS drops below 60... remember: it's the GPU, not the CPU! (just lower details)

Cheers!
m
l
September 1, 2011 11:00:22 AM

I have to first recommend we rework how u asked ur question...
"which gpu will bottle-neck my CPU" isn't a correct question.
It should read "which gpus are bottle-necked by my CPU?"
So ur question can also be reinterpreted as...."whats the highest level of GPU I should buy given my current CPU?"

Honestly the highest u can buy is your answer....unless u want to compare charts and stats and get an eventual idea of how ur CPU throughput relates to any given GPU.
Save urself the time and just upgrade to a significant GPU that u can afford. It's all for gaming so no other upgrades are really needed....except making sure ur power supply is rated for said GPU and that u have plenty of cooling.

P.s. Keep ur reciept in case ur not satisfied with the graphics gains vs $ spent. :sol: 
Good luck.
m
l
!