Properly overclocking sandy bridge?

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Hey everyone. I have a 2500k sitting on an intel dz68bc. I've overclocked my last 2 machines (e8400, phenom II 720) with no problem and pretty much fully understood what i was doing in the bios. now, i've successfully got my 2500k to 4.5... but that is with turbo boost still enabled. now i don't know whether you guys use turbo boost also? or if people are keeping their sandy bridge rigs at a solid clock speed? i kind of want it to sit at 4.5 constantly but i cant seem to figure out how to do so, and i also don't want to mess anything up as it is stable now. thanks in advance guys!

Solution
The guide in my sig will allow a solid clock speed on all 4 cores, you can always try it out and see if that's the kind of overclock you're after, if not, go back to your present settings, we're long past the Fred Flintstone days when everything was etched in stone. ;)
The guide in my sig will allow a solid clock speed on all 4 cores, you can always try it out and see if that's the kind of overclock you're after, if not, go back to your present settings, we're long past the Fred Flintstone days when everything was etched in stone. ;)

Solution
+1 4ryan6

There are a lot of good overclocking guides for the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K. Most of them direct you to disable the turbo boost but I know some people that do all of their overclocking in the Turbo Boost. The thing with Turbo Boost is that it is based off from the temperature of the processor and the number of cores in use so; if you are overclocking then you most likely wouldnt get much out of your Turbo Boost because of the increased temperatures.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team