I am new here and I need some advise regarding my desktop:

Current Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Motherboard: AsusTek P5k SE
Memory: DDR2 4GB
HDD: 500GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 9800GT 1GB
Monitor: Dell U2311H 23"

I'd like to know if it's worth it to change my graphic card to GTX 460 2GB. Will this GTX 460 support my current system? Will the GTX 460 2GB worth it for my monitor 23"? or should I just buy GTX 460 1GB?

My current system can't play Aion game smoothly.

P.S: Sorry this is the question outside this topic but I also have the Laptop Toshiba X775 Q7272 with GTX560M, the system is pretty hot when playing the game for a few hours, I'd like to know if I should use cooling pad and what type of cooling pad will be good for my laptop. Just bought this laptop for a few weeks but finally still think playing game on desktop is better and easier.

It's my first time here asking for advise and please forgive me if I am wrong on some aspect.

Thanks alot in advance and will be waiting for the feedback !

Regards,

I'd stick with the 1GB card. If you are willing to pay the extra money for a 2gb model it would make more sense to just look at a better card entirely.
We would need to know your PSU's brand/model to tell you what cards you can use though.

heavenly2011

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I am sorry that I didn't mention about my PSU, honestly I am not sure what brand I have... I don't know much about the computer but it's 650W, that's what my seller told me. I just replaced it a few months ago.

Please suggest what is the good brand for the PSU and what the capacity needed for this GTX 460.

I am living in Cambodia and actually, there is no GTX 460 here, it's so outdated in my country. Even my laptop, I shipped it from Ebay and this GTX 460, if I buy, I will have to import it from Ebay too.

Thanks for the helpful replies, appreciate it.

Regards

PSU has nothing at all to do with bottlenecking the CPU...

Even a poor 650w should be able to handle a GTX 460 but the brand model would help make certain. If you don't know it it should be on a chart on the side of the PSU inside the computer case.

heavenly2011

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hi, I just checked my PSU and noticed I was wrong, it's only 450W :( but I told my supplier here in my country to give the 650W.

The PSU Brand:
- Switching Power Supply
- Model: KY-9605

Is it gonna support the GTX 460? Do I have to change it and what brand should I find to make my system run smoothly?

As you know, I have little option when choosing any products locally such as the PSU... Please list a well known PSU brand for me, so I can check up with my suppliers here. I don't want to import this from Ebay too, this will raise the total value and I have to pay the tax duty again... it's 26.5% duty rate here for hardware and laptop...

Thanks again for the support,

Regards,

Yeahright84

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

I highly advise that you do NOT use that power supply for a couple of reasons. First, it will not have the TWO 6-pin power connections needed to power the video card. Second, the 12v rails on that psu do not have the necessary amperage in order to supply power adequately to that video card 10Amps on 12v1 and 15amps on 12v2 are NOT going work. I would go for AT LEAST 20Amps on a 12volt rail.

Antec, Corsair, Xigmatek, Seasonic, PC power and cooling, and Cooler Master make good PSUs. I personally use a Corsair 650TX to power my rig and it works great (running a GTX 460 myself)! The PSU should be 450watts+ but some 400 watt PSU will work fine as well.

EVGA makes a great video card and the one you have listed is a decent price. You could also try MSI, GIGABYTE, or ASUS. Hope this helps and good luck!

heavenly2011

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Thanks a lot guys for the feedback, really appreciate it.

I will order the Gtx 460 1GB next week and nforce4max, you are right... the PSU I am using is bad, I can feel it but honestly I don't have much knowledge in computer... when I bought this desktop a few years back, they built it for me, I just took what they offered. I am still learning these days and happy that I have learned and know how to import from ebay. The computer business in my country is very outdated like I mentioned earlier, not criticize my own country but it's the fact and the truth, when I phoned to ask them about the GTX 460, they don't even know what that is...

Is it hard to install the GTX 460 on my system? I have zero knowledge about how to install anything. My Geforce 9800GT, it's easy, I just plug it in and it's working... will the GTX 460 be this easy to install by just plugging in the motherboard ?

About the two 6-pin power connections that Yeahright84 mentioned, is that a cable and will I get it when I buy the GTX 460 or do I have to buy it too?

:D

Cooler Master? The other brands you listed are fine but Cooler Master makes a ton of terrible PSUs. They have some decent ones but certainly a brand to avoid unless you really know which are alright.

@OP: Other good PSU brands besides the ones listed above(minus Cooler Master) include Silverstone, OCZ, XFX, Enermax and FSP. So that's 10 brands you can choose from. A 500w or above from any of these brands should handle a GTX 460.
Installing the video card is easy. Replacing the PSU will be the more complicated part but it just involves using a screwdriver and unplugging the cables from the old unit to all the components and connecting them from the new one.