Asustek Amberine M + New video card

Dirkei

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Hi I just picked up a new video card, an Sapphire Radeon HD 5450. I did extensive research prior to purchasing and I found that my system is capable of running this card no problem. The issue at hand is, when the card arrived, I went ahead and disabled the on-board graphics card and plugged it in. Turned the PC on and nothing, blank screen, but the CPU fan was running at a very fast speed ( put my finger in there like an idiot and cut my thumb deep! ).

I plugged my old video card back in, it's an Radeon X300 series, very old card, but it still works. Checked online for the drivers for the HD Radeon 5450 card and installed quite a few, wasn't exactly sure but I got them from the AMD site. Went ahead and plugged the 5450 back into the PCI-e slot and still the same thing, blank screen and CPU fan running incredibly fast.

I believe this is a driver issue, if not then what is it?

UPDATE: Since I didn't have a CD drive I went ahead and used a different computer to add the disc files to a flash drive and installed the drivers. Also went ahead and tried the card on the other computer and it worked perfectly fine.

scorpinock2

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
It is the onboard video, you should have plugged in the card first, then downloaded the drivers for it, then changed the order of cards in your BIOS. Basically you had to set PCIe as the device that outputs video. All you can do now is clear the CMOS and then it should set everything back to stock factory settings, including enabling your onboard video, unless you have your BIOS memorized and can navigate it blindly (had a lucky outcome with the same issue of my Xbox and supported resolutions).

Dirkei

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

I had plugged the card in prior to changing the settings, which didn't work. So you're suggesting that I clear the CMOS?

Dirkei

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I don't see how clearing the CMOS would help in this situation if the motherboard isn't reading the video card. When the card is in and the computer is booted up the booting process doesn't happen, or there's no visual for that matter.